Climate Change: The Burden of Proof (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 11:07:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Climate Change: The Burden of Proof (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Climate Change: The Burden of Proof  (Read 2250 times)
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« on: February 09, 2016, 04:19:53 AM »
« edited: February 09, 2016, 04:21:44 AM by HagridOfTheDeep »

Yeah, let's just stop trusting climate scientists when it comes to climate change.
And while we're at it let's ignore medical doctors too and their alarmist nonsense about vaccination. Let's trust instead the conspiracy nuts and stop vaccinating our kids.

He's not really faulting the reasoning of the scientists though. He's faulting the source data that would have led any reasonable scientist to the conclusion they've reached. And it's a claim I can't dispute. "Trusting the scientists" seems intellectually lazy if there's also a plausible counter-explanation for why they might be wrong.

One thing that doesn't quite square for me though is how we can just ignore the science, or observable physics, of RAGs. Whether the temperature data proves it or not, it seems to me that enough greenhouse gases in the atmosphere would produce warming. And even though it may be "mild or moderate" now, the phenomenon is concerning enough to take precautions, no? Especially if the precautions can actually have net benefits for the economy.

Also, what is to be made of the increased incidence of extreme weather events? Or the "northern amplification" of climate change (the idea that warming is much easier to observe in arctic and antarctic regions, even while it might go virtually unnoticed in areas where most of the world's population lives)? I know this is very unscientific, but it just "seems" like climate change is indeed happening.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies