Idea for a tax extension compromise (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 06:50:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Idea for a tax extension compromise (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Idea for a tax extension compromise  (Read 1787 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« on: September 10, 2010, 07:39:56 PM »

The Bush cuts will be extended for everyone after the election, except that for the "rich" it will just be for two years. Obama will accept the Boehner deal - after the election. You can write that down.

It also appears the Dems will forego a vote getting folks on record about whether to extend the tax cuts for the "rich." That pawn move by the Dems is now inoperative. They decided it was too risky, particularly with one segment of their party off the reservation, and some fear the the Pubbies will just run clips of Dems bashing the Obama plan which the GOP can run elsewhere.

So what is next pawn the Dems will move on the chess board I wonder?  Of is it now just a money game, with the Dems in marginal seats pretending they are off the reservation? 
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 08:19:10 PM »

The Bush cuts will be extended for everyone after the election, except that for the "rich" it will just be for two years. Obama will accept the Boehner deal - after the election. You can write that down.

Why would Obama accept an extension for two years? Wouldn't that mean having the same exact fight right before the presidential election?

Right. He will do it, because given the election result, and all, and because the GOP is holding everyone else hostage, it is a reasonable Faustian bargain, and the voters have made clear that they expect compromises. If he does not do it, and the economy continues to disappoint, then he will be blamed. On this one, I am pretty confident.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 09:05:58 PM »

Sure it might have to wait until January.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 09:36:17 PM »

We shall see. Someone should make a list of all my wild predictions. It might turn out to be a very fun roast - at my expense. Tongue
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies