What are you invested in? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 12:53:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  What are you invested in? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What are you invested in?  (Read 5048 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

« on: November 13, 2013, 01:57:27 PM »

Let's just say I'm relieved to have broken even for the year.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 07:06:13 PM »

Let's just say I'm relieved to have broken even for the year.

What were you using? I have some vague recollections of you using derivatives.

I wasn't using derivatives but I had my entire portfolio in the Nikkei 225 in May. At first, it was great; then it fell apart.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 07:20:35 PM »

I think there's a pretty good chance TNF will have more money by the time he's my age than I do now.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 10:14:21 PM »

I think there's a pretty good chance TNF will have more money by the time he's my age than I do now.

nah, isn't he just a grad student somewhere in the humanities, maybe labor history?  he'll be kicking around visiting-fellowships for decades.

Not necessarily... Lots of grad students find work outside of academia if they can't find suitable opportunities within it. My college roommate in senior year is a History PhD student and when he finishes I think his plan is to work at a historical park or museum. Also, academia isn't exactly what one considers when one thinks of the lower class or even lower middle class. It's one of the very few areas where income and class are not well aligned.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 06:02:39 PM »

About half of Americans own stock, for the record. So let's drop the 1% nonsense on that issue.

Nonsense.  Less than 1% own any significant amount.  Your claim is absurd on its face - like saying 'poverty isn't a problem, because I know for a fact that poor people have dollar bills in their pockets'.
Not only this, but most of the peasants who own one month's wages in a 401(k) (on which they are supposed to retire?) are older, and became employed back when jobs at least pretended to offer "retirement plans." What's the average age of Atlas Forum investors?

Torie is 62, Jachind is 41, and I'm 20. Are we missing anyone?

That rich kid, what's his name, Dukie.
Don't forget the smug Swede and bereft Beet.

That's right!  The insufferable Gustaf and the nonentity Beet.

We've a whole raft of guillotine worthies.

Didn't you say you owned motorcycles in another thread? Another hypocritical capitalist owner living off your wealth. I've just got the answer:

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies