SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 12:46:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 113
Author Topic: SCOTUS overturns Roe megathread (pg 53 - confirmed)  (Read 102549 times)
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #300 on: May 02, 2022, 10:13:54 PM »

So wait, abortion will be completely illegal in those 13 states with laws banning abortion, even abortions in the first trimester?

It's entirely up to each state. You would need to refer to the state law for any allowance or exception.

This is a leak of a document written in February, so I'm taking it with a grain of salt. But If this is the real opinion they'll be releasing in a few weeks, Praise the LORD. This is not only the legally correct (When you take all the politics out of it, there is no right to abortion in the constitution. It simply isn't there. We invented it in 1973, and have only kept it around this long for public opinion concerns, which is not a legally appropriate basis for Court Decisions.) but also incredibly life-saving Decision. It's also a balanced decision that doesn't threaten Griswold or try to define personhood. It simply leaves abortion to the states. Maryland can allow abortion in the 9th Month, as their laws currently do. Texas can ban it completely if they choose. For the first time in nearly fifty years, people will not be told by a court what to do about abortion, but instead to determine the appropriate destiny for each society through our democracy. And they will remain able to prevent implantation via contraception.

I don't much care who this helps electorally. What I do find praise in is the strengthening of our democracy and the saving of lives that this decision would bring.

Also, if it's all true - Gorsuch, I was wrong about you. I still don't really get why you gave this answer, but glad to see you are actually pro-life. https://youtu.be/Z08EdjHJgoI

Why do you hate women so much?

I don't. I enthusiastically support robust government provided health care for Children, all sorts of entitlement programs for children and mothers, robust adoption programs, and contraception. I also support abortion allowance in certain cases, like rape, incest, life of the mother, fetal abnormalities - I would even be willing to sign a 15 week ban and set in firm stone, never be able to be changed. Heck, in Atlasia [Lincoln] I authored a 20 week ban, voted into law by the people, and I have no plans to change that should I serve in office again.

I simply reject the notion that it is up to a court to decide all of this. It should be decided by the people through their representatives. I further reject the notion that I have to embrace unfettered or effectively unfettered abortion to support Women. I think we should be a society where Women don't need to destroy life to succeed, but where we still enthusiastically assist Women and their babies with having successful lives.

Atlasia is not a real country so using it as an example is stupid.

You support a woman's autonomy being stripped away, which lines you up with theocrats.

I am a woman. My opinion on the issue has more value than yours.

You don't actually believe this, you're just parroting what you've seen some pro-choice women say to pro-life men as an attempt to "own" him.

You don't get to say what I do or do not believe in. Nor do you know me well enough to have a valid argument here.

Okay, theocrat.

Can you do anything except make personal attacks in violation of the TOS. You can be upset but attacking posters is a TOS violation and you keep doing that.

Doesn't make me wrong.

It's not a woman's autonomy that is of primary concern here, it's the autonomy of the defenseless unborn child.

An fetus that cannot survive outside the womb is not a child.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #301 on: May 02, 2022, 10:14:04 PM »

This is a leak of a document written in February, so I'm taking it with a grain of salt. But If this is the real opinion they'll be releasing in a few weeks, Praise the LORD. This is not only the legally correct (When you take all the politics out of it, there is no right to abortion in the constitution. It simply isn't there. We invented it in 1973, and have only kept it around this long for public opinion concerns, which is not a legally appropriate basis for Court Decisions.) but also incredibly life-saving Decision. It's also a balanced decision that doesn't threaten Griswold or try to define personhood. It simply leaves abortion to the states. Maryland can allow abortion in the 9th Month, as their laws currently do. Texas can ban it completely if they choose. For the first time in nearly fifty years, people will not be told by a court what to do about abortion, but instead to determine the appropriate destiny for each society through our democracy. And they will remain able to prevent implantation via contraception.

I don't much care who this helps electorally. What I do find praise in is the strengthening of our democracy and the saving of lives that this decision would bring.

Also, if it's all true - Gorsuch, I was wrong about you. I still don't really get why you gave this answer, but glad to see you are actually pro-life. https://youtu.be/Z08EdjHJgoI

Nothing about that post suggests he hates women.

Apart from the fact he's salivating over a woman's right to bodily autonomy being revoked.

For the vast majority of cases, women can exercise their right to bodily autonomy by choosing not to engage in acts they know can result in pregnancy.

And with that, you confirm you hate women too.

Not when your opinion is in favor of restricting other women's rights. And newsflash, there are women who hate other women. Being a woman doesn't mean you cannot be capable of hating women. Not saying that you do hate women, but you being a woman doesn't make your opinion right.

My opinion isn't in favor of restricting anyone's rights, because abortion isn't a right.

So you're saying that people don't have a right over their own bodies? Interesting logic. Just remember that there was a time that freedom wasn't a right if you were Black.

As I previously said:
For the vast majority of cases, women can exercise their right to bodily autonomy by choosing not to engage in acts they know can result in pregnancy.

Abortion affects a body that isn't a woman's right to harm.

And had the Africans kidnapped from their homelands been a little quicker in running they could have avoided slavery. We can play games like this all day, it doesn't make your argument right.

A woman has every right to terminate a pregnancy. And abortion won't stop because of this. A fetus is not a person. Your feelings are irrelevant to other people's rights.

Good thing killing your offspring isn't a right.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #302 on: May 02, 2022, 10:14:08 PM »

You don't actually believe this, you're just parroting what you've seen some pro-choice women say to pro-life men as an attempt to "own" him.

You don't get to say what I do or do not believe in. Nor do you know me well enough to have a valid argument here.

Okay, theocrat.

Can you do anything except make personal attacks in violation of the TOS. You can be upset but attacking posters is a TOS violation and you keep doing that.

It’s not an attack if it’s true.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #303 on: May 02, 2022, 10:14:12 PM »

Worth noting that many states have their own equivalents of Roe v. Wade per State Supreme Court, I know that Minnesota does, as does Kansas of all places. That might be an option for some surprising states, like Kentucky and Oklahoma. Michigan is a no-brainer, its Supreme Court already has a 4D-3R majority but one of the Republicans is basically a RINO so it's really a 5-2 liberal majority, and there's already evidence that Whitmer and Nessel are planning something to it in this regards.

That's not much comfort to the millions of pro-choice Americans living in states where is it going to be totally illegal this summer.
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #304 on: May 02, 2022, 10:14:21 PM »

So wait, abortion will be completely illegal in those 13 states with laws banning abortion, even abortions in the first trimester?

It's entirely up to each state. You would need to refer to the state law for any allowance or exception.

I don't. I enthusiastically support robust government provided health care for Children, all sorts of entitlement programs for children and mothers, robust adoption programs, and contraception. I also support abortion allowance in certain cases, like rape, incest, life of the mother, fetal abnormalities - I would even be willing to sign a 15 week ban and set in firm stone, never be able to be changed. Heck, in Atlasia [Lincoln] I authored a 20 week ban, voted into law by the people, and I have no plans to change that should I serve in office again.

I simply reject the notion that it is up to a court to decide all of this. It should be decided by the people through their representatives. I further reject the notion that I have to embrace unfettered or effectively unfettered abortion to support Women. I think we should be a society where Women don't need to destroy life to succeed, but where we still enthusiastically assist Women and their babies with having successful lives.

You support a woman's autonomy being stripped away, which lines you up with theocrats.

Okay, theocrat.

Doesn't make me wrong.

It's not a woman's autonomy that is of primary concern here, it's the autonomy of the defenseless unborn child.

This is a pointless discussion. Nobody is going to be convinced to change their mind. It comes down to whether you believe a fetus is a person or not, arguing about it is fruitless.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #305 on: May 02, 2022, 10:14:33 PM »

Okay, theocrat.

Doesn't make me wrong.

. . . Wow.

NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #306 on: May 02, 2022, 10:14:38 PM »

look I know mr x can be disingenuous but its obvious what he's talking about. As I said above, people in this thread are fear mongering about the SCOTUS using the same logic to overturn Griswold/Obergefell/Lawrence. That's absolutely concern trolling

Obergefell and Lawrence sure, but how is Griswold not under threat from this decision? I'm hardly a legal scholar, but from my skimming of the draft opinion and prior knowledge of both cases, it seems like Griswold and Roe were decided on similar bases. Wouldn't a decision overturning Roe necessarily indicate that Griswold is suspect?
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #307 on: May 02, 2022, 10:14:53 PM »

Apart from the fact he's salivating over a woman's right to bodily autonomy being revoked.

Not when your opinion is in favor of restricting other women's rights. And newsflash, there are women who hate other women. Being a woman doesn't mean you cannot be capable of hating women. Not saying that you do hate women, but you being a woman doesn't make your opinion right.

My opinion isn't in favor of restricting anyone's rights, because abortion isn't a right.

So you're saying that people don't have a right over their own bodies? Interesting logic. Just remember that there was a time that freedom wasn't a right if you were Black.

As I previously said:

And had the Africans kidnapped from their homelands been a little quicker in running they could have avoided slavery. We can play games like this all day, it doesn't make your argument right.

A woman has every right to terminate a pregnancy. And abortion won't stop because of this. A fetus is not a person. Your feelings are irrelevant to other people's rights.

So if a fetus isnt a person then at 9 months she can still get an abortion?
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #308 on: May 02, 2022, 10:14:59 PM »

Wisconsin has an anti-abortion law on the books also right?
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #309 on: May 02, 2022, 10:15:30 PM »

look I know mr x can be disingenuous but its obvious what he's talking about. As I said above, people in this thread are fear mongering about the SCOTUS using the same logic to overturn Griswold/Obergefell/Lawrence. That's absolutely concern trolling

Obergefell and Lawrence sure, but how is Griswold not under threat from this decision? I'm hardly a legal scholar, but from my skimming of the opinion and prior knowledge of both cases, it seems like Griswold and Roe were decided on similar bases. Wouldn't a decision overturning Roe necessarily indicate that Griswold is suspect?

Yes. The right to privacy is a very shaky one.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #310 on: May 02, 2022, 10:15:35 PM »

Worth noting that many states have their own equivalents of Roe v. Wade per State Supreme Court, I know that Minnesota does, as does Kansas of all places. That might be an option for some surprising states, like Kentucky and Oklahoma. Michigan is a no-brainer, its Supreme Court already has a 4D-3R majority but one of the Republicans is basically a RINO so it's really a 5-2 liberal majority, and there's already evidence that Whitmer and Nessel are planning something to it in this regards.

That's not much comfort to the millions of pro-choice Americans living in states where is it going to be totally illegal this summer.
I never said it was, but I don't see the point in just adding more dooming posts to the pile here.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #311 on: May 02, 2022, 10:16:10 PM »

Hypothetical scenario: a fertility clinic is on fire, and the firefighters only have time to go into one room before the building collapses: room A, where there is one 30-year-old doctor, or room B, where there are fertilized eggs in test tubes.

Who should the firefighters save?
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #312 on: May 02, 2022, 10:16:46 PM »

Okay, theocrat.

Doesn't make me wrong.

An fetus that cannot survive outside the womb is not a child.

DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #313 on: May 02, 2022, 10:19:01 PM »

As I previously said:

Abortions will still be legal in many states whether you like it or not. And they will still continue despite what the court says.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #314 on: May 02, 2022, 10:19:36 PM »
« Edited: May 02, 2022, 10:24:59 PM by Ferguson97 »

Wow, did Alito know about this before he wrote the draft? He should have included this, it would have made it an open and shut case. The liberals would have had zero recourse!

Sorry but no, the colloquial usage of 'child' in certain contexts does not mean that a fetus is a living human being in a biological, ethical, or legal sense.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #315 on: May 02, 2022, 10:20:09 PM »

Okay, theocrat.

Doesn't make me wrong.

This is a pointless discussion. Nobody is going to be convinced to change their mind. It comes down to whether you believe a fetus is a person or not, arguing about it is fruitless.

The important thing though in the context of this decision is that it does not answer that question definitively, but rather returns it to the legislative bodies. It has long puzzled me how the Roe decision claimed to not want to answer that question, but then decided that legislatures had no right to outlaw abortion until a rather late point (mandating a certain answer for practical purposes).
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #316 on: May 02, 2022, 10:20:31 PM »

I can’t believe Biden banned abortion
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #317 on: May 02, 2022, 10:20:40 PM »

Congress should have resolved this issue years ago.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #318 on: May 02, 2022, 10:20:51 PM »

As I previously said:

Abortions will still be legal in many states whether you like it or not. And they will still continue despite what the court says.

Exactly. The left shouldnt be melting down over some states choosing to not allow the killing of offspring since you can still kill away in blue states.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #319 on: May 02, 2022, 10:21:33 PM »

Again, people, look at what happened at Ceausescu's Romania after he outlawed abortion. It didn't stop abortion. It just pushed into back alleys where a lot of women died because they didn't have access to the care they needed.

NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #320 on: May 02, 2022, 10:22:06 PM »

I am surprised that in the 50 years period between Roe and this case, no national law on abortion was passed. There have been multiple trifectas in that time, and you'd think that somebody would have made a move at some point.
GM Team Member and Deputy PPT WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #321 on: May 02, 2022, 10:22:18 PM »

Imagine thinking congress would willingly solve problems.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #322 on: May 02, 2022, 10:22:29 PM »

As I previously said:

So if a fetus isnt a person then at 9 months she can still get an abortion?

I don't think you understand that fetus cannot survive outside of the womb up until a certain point. There are already restrictions on abortion that do not allow it after the third trimester because the fetus has become viable.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #323 on: May 02, 2022, 10:22:44 PM »

Again, people, look at what happened at Ceausescu's Romania after he outlawed abortion. It didn't stop abortion. It just pushed into back alleys where it resulted in a lot of women died because they didn't have access to the care they needed.

This is not something that Republicans care about.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #324 on: May 02, 2022, 10:23:21 PM »

Wow, did Alito know about this before he wrote the draft? He should have included this, it would have made it an open and shut case. The liberals would have had zero recourse!

Sorry but no, the colloquial usage of 'child' in certain contexts does not mean that a fetus is a living being in a biological, ethical, or legal sense.

Claiming that a fetus is not a living being in a biological sense is science denial.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 113  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies