Kansas professor Mirecki beaten up (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 02:42:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Kansas professor Mirecki beaten up (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Kansas professor Mirecki beaten up  (Read 2996 times)
J-Mann
United States

« on: December 06, 2005, 12:10:16 PM »

It was pretty evident that this was going to happen.  It wasn't right that he got assaulted for this, but the dumbsh**t should have known better.

Kansas is a wonderful place to exercise your freedom of speech if you're willing to deal with the consequences.  I imagine he'll consider his next hastily-written, hateful (and that's all it was -- full of hate for people he disagreed with) e-mail a lot more carefully.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2005, 12:26:41 PM »

It was pretty evident that this was going to happen.  It wasn't right that he got assaulted for this, but the dumbsh**t should have known better.

Kansas is a wonderful place to exercise your freedom of speech if you're willing to deal with the consequences.  I imagine he'll consider his next hastily-written, hateful (and that's all it was -- full of hate for people he disagreed with) e-mail a lot more carefully.

I guess you could say: Mirecki wrote a check his ass couldn't cash.

J-Mann and Storebought think free speech should be dependent upon ones power!

No, I think you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.  He could have easily started a class debating the merits of intelligent design without inciting hatred against him.  He's stupid for making that mistake, and it wasn't all that hard to predict a beating was coming to him.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2005, 12:42:17 PM »
« Edited: December 06, 2005, 12:47:53 PM by J-Mann »

No, I think you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.  He could have easily started a class debating the merits of intelligent design without inciting hatred against him.  He's stupid for making that mistake, and it wasn't all that hard to predict a beating was coming to him.

And yet, the preachers of these cults spew hate about various members of society, from homosexuals to atheists, and they never get beaten up.

Not necessarily true -- I've personally thrown a rock at Fred Phelps, though I had discretion enough to do it from a crowd so I couldn't be picked out (he was a regular protester at my university).  His "preachers" have gotten roughed up a time or two.

Anyway, the point is to exercise discretion when advocating change or challenging the majority.  Case in point: you --

Thaksin is no joke - rapidly destroying freedoms in one of the few free countries that has ever existed.  Over the last month one of his Thai Rak Thai minions - the mayor of Pattaya - has directed the police to drive the freelancers from the beach promenade. 

I was here for this act of injustice.. probably the most horrific thing I have ever seen.  Sure, I grew up in an unfree land, but I never had to witness liberty being crushed (it was crushed before I was born). 

A friend asked me, when I related the tragic tale, 'what did you do?'  I told her - 'I bore witness'.

You vehemently disagree with Thaksin and the forces of social control, but when this event happened, what did you do?  You didn't fight for the freelancers or shout at those who chased them away.  You just watched.

Which is smart.  Jumping into the middle of the fray would have gotten you an ass-kicking, at the very least -- likely something worse.  Rather, you exercise discretion in the way that you combat views you don't agree with by relating the story and hoping that news of the oppression spreads.  See what I'm getting at?  This professor started his assault not as a quiet revolution, but by getting right in the fundamentalists' faces -- and he paid the likely price for it.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies