Question to Gustaf and other European Posters (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 12:44:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Question to Gustaf and other European Posters (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Question to Gustaf and other European Posters  (Read 22623 times)
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« on: February 03, 2004, 08:47:29 AM »
« edited: February 03, 2004, 09:11:20 AM by Old Europe »

Well, I´m new here, but I posted in other American politics forums before. So, I feel free to answer.

Can you please explain to me why you guys would spend so much time discussing the politics of another country, ...

The United States is the only remaining super-power and therefore the most powerful nation in the world. Decisions made by U.S. politicians may effect the rest of the world. Europeans are also discussing American politics in "their own "political forums. But here we can interact with Americans.

... and why you think you are in any way qualified to make judgements concerning complex issues of American politics in light of the fact that you don't live in this country?

I´m a fifth term political science student currently attending a seminar about U.S. electoral processes held by Canadian visiting professor with residence in a Boston suburb. Is that sufficient? Cheesy

Besides, I´m reading a lot.

Virtually 100% of the time they are well educated and decidedly LEFT of center in terms of their political ideology, always possessing a subtle anti-americanism that they generally hide very well until the debate gets heated.

I think the average American is simply more conservative than the average European, so a lot of Europeans are looking left-leaning to American.

For the "anti-americanism" thing... I always thought that the term "anti-americanism" is hard to define (and much more harder is it with "subtle anti-americanism"). I mean, where exactly begins anti-americanism? Where is the borderline between just critizing the U.S. and being anti-american?

Oh, well, saying something like "I hate all Americans and wish they would go all straight to hell" would be clearly anti-american, but what about more... eh, subtle statements, for example criticizing the practice of capital punishment in the United States. Is that anti-american too? Just my two cents...
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies