6 Officers Charged In Freddy Gray Death; 2nd Deg. Murder & Manslaughter (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 07:00:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  6 Officers Charged In Freddy Gray Death; 2nd Deg. Murder & Manslaughter (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 6 Officers Charged In Freddy Gray Death; 2nd Deg. Murder & Manslaughter  (Read 10519 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« on: May 01, 2015, 11:29:33 AM »

I'm not going to celebrate until they start repealing some of the laws that allow officers to harass, detain, arrest, and imprison people for no particular reason.

But that will never happen so commence with the circus trials.

Why do you characterize and/or assume it will be a "circus trial?"  Whatever its inadequacies, the current state of the law does not allow police to kill without the predicate of they or someone else being in immediate personal physical danger.  They can't even kill to stop a crime or attempt to catch a suspect absent that predicate.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 05:34:12 PM »

The two cops charged with assault but not the death are going to be acquitted, full-stop. Those are some weak charges. I could even see them being dismissed early on by an impartial judge.

I think the other four stand a good chance of being convicted, though. The murder charge is going to be very hard to prove, but manslaughter has a good case for it.

I guess Maryland doesn't have a felony murder law. The assault the officers committed/were accomplices to resulted in the unlawful death of Freddie Gray. That's the definition of felony murder.

Every state has some variant of a felony murder law. At least I would be shocked if that were not the case.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies