Non-Political Pet Peeves (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 02:13:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Non-Political Pet Peeves (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Non-Political Pet Peeves  (Read 1458 times)
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: July 20, 2013, 11:27:50 AM »

Traffic lights.  They serve a purpose, sure, but it's a terrible lie by municipalities to say the timing on them has anything to do with helping the flow of traffic.  They are timed specifically to coax drivers into speeding. 
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 11:27:36 AM »

Traffic lights.  They serve a purpose, sure, but it's a terrible lie by municipalities to say the timing on them has anything to do with helping the flow of traffic.  They are timed specifically to coax drivers into speeding. 

A million times this!

How does that work?

Another pet peeve: people who can't STFU during a movie.

On most highways where they are used, in Jersey anyway, if you go about 10-15 above the limit, you will typically hit most green lights/be able to get through the yellow.  If you drive right around the limit, expect to hit about every red.  And you don't just hit the red... you will typically juuuuuusssttt miss getting through the yellow. 

It's hard to explain, but there is incentive to speed in Jersey, and they ticket people left and right to raise funds for going 10 or so above the limit.  It can get even worse late at night, where REALLY flying will almost always mean a straight shot down the highway w/out any stops at all. 

I'm no conspiracy theorist, but I do see something diabolical behind traffic lights.  Typically when its late and I can't see a cop or any other cars I just go through them.  I get wonderful life out of my brakes... tell you that much. 
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 08:50:55 PM »

A million times this!

How does that work?

Another pet peeve: people who can't STFU during a movie.

On most highways where they are used, in Jersey anyway, if you go about 10-15 above the limit, you will typically hit most green lights/be able to get through the yellow.  If you drive right around the limit, expect to hit about every red.  And you don't just hit the red... you will typically juuuuuusssttt miss getting through the yellow. 

It's hard to explain, but there is incentive to speed in Jersey, and they ticket people left and right to raise funds for going 10 or so above the limit.  It can get even worse late at night, where REALLY flying will almost always mean a straight shot down the highway w/out any stops at all. 

I'm no conspiracy theorist, but I do see something diabolical behind traffic lights.  Typically when its late and I can't see a cop or any other cars I just go through them.  I get wonderful life out of my brakes... tell you that much. 
Odd, here in Oak Ridge, Tennessee, the traffic lights are timed so that one hits all the greens if one stays at the speed limit, and if one speeds, then one invariably hits a red light.

NJ likes to use traffic violation fines and surcharges as a primary source of revenue. 
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies