Gunman near UCSB kills 6 people, injures 7
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 12:35:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Gunman near UCSB kills 6 people, injures 7
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10
Author Topic: Gunman near UCSB kills 6 people, injures 7  (Read 15076 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: May 26, 2014, 04:10:56 PM »

The NRA has also said they support background checks; guess what happens whenever people try to enforce them or enact them?

If you want the government to enforce something, you have to actually let the government make efforts to enforce it. It's like how the Right will often say "Look at how many taxes we have? We don't need to raise taxes; why can't we just enforce what we already have on the books!?" and then quietly work to undermine any effort to hire more people in the IRS so people can actually do just that. It's garbage. It's lies. If you want people to enforce the gun control laws already in effect in a harder fashion you need to hire more people (and hire the right people) to do so. If a bill was brought up specifically for that purpose it would get voted down as well.

It's reasonable to allege conspiracy, when one party has something to gain. Please explain to us how these rampages by the mentally-ill are in the best interest of the NRA and gun-owners. Even the gun and ammo manufacturers, who usually benefit from a spike in demand after tragedies, are not particularly interested in this kind of political exposure.

It's simple enough to explain why they might benefit.  Both the NRA and the gun and ammo manufacturers gain from their being a degree of controversy.  If there were no controversy, fewer people would feel the need to be an NRA member and without a perceived potential threat to gun rights to encourage people to buy more more while they still can, the gun and ammo manufacturers would have lower sales.  Obviously, they don't want so much controversy that something actually gets done, but having just enough to stir the pot is very much in their interests.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #151 on: May 26, 2014, 05:33:11 PM »

Guys, "Aggregate demand" believes Liberals are the reason the US doesn't have single payer healthcare. He's definitely not worth arguing with.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #152 on: May 26, 2014, 07:24:44 PM »

What restriction was violated in this case?  Are you arguing that seeing a mental health professional for whatever reason should automatically disqualify one from owning a gun?  Yes, in hindsight, whoever he was seeing possibly could have done more, tho that assumes that the problems he evidenced when that professional saw him was something that should have caused him to be judged a danger to himself or others.

Rodger had a therapist. Last month, relatives called police to pay him a visit because they were worried about his mental condition. The man was mentally-ill. He purchased firearms. What extenuating circumstances are causing confusion? Granted, we don't know the timing of the therapy and the purchase, but it's somewhat moot at this point. The Isla Vista rampage is another example of government refusing to enforce Gun Control Act of 1968.

Wrong.

Neither having a therapist, nor being visited by the police (even from call of those worried about mental illness) can preclude you from purchasing a firearm based on the Gun Control Act of 1968. And as I have stated before, even if you are diagnosed as mentally ill, you can still purchase a gun. California has an even stricter law regarding therapy where it requires therapists to notify the police if a patient has made any specific threats of violence (which would be put into database and stop any purchase attempt via background check). However in this case there is no evidence that this guy had made any specific threats (until he posted that video but by that time he had purchased the guns).

MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #153 on: May 26, 2014, 10:11:14 PM »

It's sure than NRA is blaming mentally ill people, it's easier to put the blame on someone else than accepting the blame.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #154 on: May 26, 2014, 10:46:33 PM »

This is good: http://news.rapgenius.com/albums/Elliot-rodger/My-twisted-world-the-story-of-elliot-rodger
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #155 on: May 27, 2014, 12:37:28 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #156 on: May 27, 2014, 03:38:23 AM »

Or how many times their mother dated George Lucas or some other guy worth $500 million.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #157 on: May 27, 2014, 09:04:41 AM »

This guy went for the gun free zone, like many other shooters.

Link

At Halloween, he suggested, “there would literally be thousands of people walking around that I could kill with ease.” What thwarted this plan? “It would be too risky. One gunshot from a cop will end everything.” As it happens, the killer had foreshadowed his own death. The rampage ended when good men with guns closed in and returned fire, prompting their target to turn the gun on himself. It was ever thus.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #158 on: May 27, 2014, 09:11:55 AM »

It's sure than NRA is blaming mentally ill people, it's easier to put the blame on someone else than accepting the blame.
You think the NRA is to blame for EVERY shooting in the US?  Weird.  Who do you blame for the racist that shot up the Jewish center in Belgium?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #159 on: May 27, 2014, 09:21:38 AM »

Link

At Halloween, he suggested, “there would literally be thousands of people walking around that I could kill with ease.” What thwarted this plan? “It would be too risky. One gunshot from a cop will end everything.” As it happens, the killer had foreshadowed his own death. The rampage ended when good men with guns closed in and returned fire, prompting their target to turn the gun on himself. It was ever thus.

All correct.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #160 on: May 27, 2014, 11:16:32 AM »

Link

All correct.

You think the defining characteristic of this spree's location--that of a college-age boy going after "stuck-up sorority girls"--was that a university was a "gun free zone"?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #161 on: May 27, 2014, 11:27:48 AM »

Link

All correct.

You think the defining characteristic of this spree's location--that of a college-age boy going after "stuck-up sorority girls"--was that a university was a "gun free zone"?

No.  But it seems most mass shootings are in places where there are no other guns.  I'm not totally off the reservation, b33.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #162 on: May 27, 2014, 11:42:23 AM »

Link

All correct.

No.  But it seems most mass shootings are in places where there are no other guns.  I'm not totally off the reservation, b33.

Do mass shootings happen in schools because they're gun free zones? Or do mass shootings happen in places where there are no guns because schools are gun free zones? Probably the latter, right?

"good" http://recode.net/2014/05/26/rap-genius-co-founder-moghadam-fired/
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #163 on: May 27, 2014, 12:49:01 PM »

Wait, I thought you were blaming MRAs earlier. Now it is the NRA? Make up your mind! Tongue.

MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #164 on: May 27, 2014, 01:51:23 PM »

Wait, I thought you were blaming MRAs earlier. Now it is the NRA? Make up your mind! Tongue.

No, I'm critizing NRA comment on mentally ill people. Through, here in Quebec, media are heavilly blaming the NRA and the Republican Party, as they do after every shooting (given than there is huge pro-gun control majorities in Quebec, it's a popular view).
Cobbler
United States

« Reply #165 on: May 27, 2014, 02:24:22 PM »

Link

If you read the manifest, you'd see that he always planned to shoot himself, it was part of the plan the whole time. The "good men" didn't stop him, he just wanted to maximize the amount of people he took with him.. It wasn't the fear of death causing him to cancel his plan. This was basically him just rescheduling it so he could make sure he killed more people before he dies.

I support the 2nd amendment, but it sickens me when people spin these situations in this way. It sounds to me like it places more blame on the people that didn't have the gun, than the person that did.

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #166 on: May 27, 2014, 03:25:46 PM »

No, I'm critizing NRA comment on mentally ill people. Through, here in Quebec, media are heavilly blaming the NRA and the Republican Party, as they do after every shooting (given than there is huge pro-gun control majorities in Quebec, it's a popular view).
My apologies, I completely misread your comment.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #167 on: May 27, 2014, 03:38:04 PM »

Guys, "Aggregate demand" believes Liberals are the reason the US doesn't have single payer healthcare. He's definitely not worth arguing with.

Republicans are the people who said we'd never pay for single-payer or nationalized healthcare. They failed.

Democrats are the people who vow to create universal healthcare once they get the money. They have the money, but we don't have single payer.

Democrats need to own up to their failures at some point. Republicans are all aware of the parties ineptitude regarding reform policy. Liberals don't realize that their own party is responsible for the abundant lack of progress, despite immense spending power.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #168 on: May 27, 2014, 03:42:58 PM »

Whatever.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #169 on: May 27, 2014, 03:49:17 PM »

Republicans are the people who said we'd never pay for single-payer or nationalized healthcare. They failed.

Democrats are the people who vow to create universal healthcare once they get the money. They have the money, but we don't have single payer.

Democrats need to own up to their failures at some point. Republicans are all aware of the parties ineptitude regarding reform policy. Liberals don't realize that their own party is responsible for the abundant lack of progress, despite immense spending power.

There isn't a facepalm plamy enough for this post.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #170 on: May 27, 2014, 04:16:23 PM »

Joe The Plumber has chimed in:

http://assholeoftheday.us/post/87033895940/joe-the-plumber-asshole-of-the-day-for-may-27
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #171 on: May 27, 2014, 04:21:32 PM »

At least he's honest, I guess.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #172 on: May 27, 2014, 06:02:26 PM »

He was in my English class in twelfth grade. Talking to him could be a little difficult because he was still learning the language and had a strong accent, but I remember doing a couple projects with him and he was an unfailingly pleasant person. It's sobering to hear about this.

I'm sorry to hear that.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #173 on: May 27, 2014, 06:03:25 PM »

There isn't a facepalm plamy enough for this post.

There's not a facepalm palmy enough for people who don't question their own party. Americans pay their taxes; especially on a per capita basis. Democrats had Congress and the WH. Instead of the efficient single-payer system they keep promising everyone, they created another vote-buying scheme in moderate clothing.

Regardless of whether or not you see the situation for what it is, it has little to do with Elliot Rodger anyway.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #174 on: May 27, 2014, 06:37:39 PM »

There's not a facepalm palmy enough for people who don't question their own party. Americans pay their taxes; especially on a per capita basis. Democrats had Congress and the WH. Instead of the efficient single-payer system they keep promising everyone, they created another vote-buying scheme in moderate clothing.

Regardless of whether or not you see the situation for what it is, it has little to do with Elliot Rodger anyway.

We didn't get single-payer because we needed the voted of "moderate" Democrats in the Senate. You need to realize political parties aren't monolithic organizations.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies