Obama vs. Bill Clinton
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 02:19:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Obama vs. Bill Clinton
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Obama vs. Bill Clinton  (Read 676 times)
LBJ Revivalist
ModerateDemocrat1990

Political Matrix
E: -5.87, S: -2.87

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 03, 2010, 04:51:23 PM »

A question:

Ideology wise, would you say Obama and Clinton are alike? I don't mean in terms of whatever their personal ideology is, but how they govern(ed) as President?

Also, why was Clinton able to successfully position himself in the center, whereas Obama seems to be failing at doing so?
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, 04:59:25 PM »

I thought you deleted yourself already.
LBJ Revivalist
ModerateDemocrat1990

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 05:00:44 PM »

Nah.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 05:16:50 PM »
« Edited: December 03, 2010, 05:20:05 PM by Jessica Walterstein »

Ignoring WHO started this thread:

Clinton ran on welfare reform and crime control and a bunch of other hot button but largely meaningless issues. Obama mostly ran on vague notions of change and presided over the largest injection of public spending into the economy since WW2, bail outs, etc. not to mention plenty of propaganda about him. That's not going to go away overnight even with him adopting even more neo-con positions and at least entertaining the notion of austerity. Our media is too worthless to help there and people rarely base their opinions on facts so it wouldn't matter even if it wasn't.
LBJ Revivalist
ModerateDemocrat1990

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2010, 05:19:27 PM »

Ignoring WHO started this thread:

Clinton ran on welfare reform and crime control and a bunch of other hot button but largely meaningless issues. Obama ran on vague notions of change and presided over the largest injection of public spending into the economy since WW2, bail outs, etc. not to mention plenty of propaganda about him. That's not going to go away overnight even with him adopting even more neo-con positions and at least entertaining the notion of austerity. Our media is worthless and people rarely base their opinions on facts.

I think welfare reform was actually a meaningful thing. AFDC was being wildly abused; it needed to be reformed.
As for crime control, I personally am a staunch advocate of the "Law & Order" stance--I want there to be more cops, more efficiency and communication between local and state PDs, and the FBI. Clinton went about it the wrong way with the stupid gun control measure, though.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2010, 05:28:13 PM »

That wasn't really my point. Although as a percentage of the budget AFDC was obviously tiny compared to entitlements, corporate welfare, or the military (okay that last bit is redundant) even then.
LBJ Revivalist
ModerateDemocrat1990

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2010, 05:30:59 PM »

That wasn't really my point. Although as a percentage of the budget AFDC was obviously tiny compared to entitlements, corporate welfare, or the military (okay that last bit is redundant) even then.

I think if we cut some of the needless military spending, and corporate welfare, and also cut some of the fat out of the ''entitlements'', we could afford them.

People on the right tend to see Social Security as a form of welfare, a hand out, but I don't feel that it is.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2010, 05:47:00 PM »

I thought this called for a map Smiley

courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2010, 05:51:28 PM »

People on the right tend to see Social Security as a form of welfare, a hand out, but I don't feel that it is.

Even 60% of the teabaggers you concern troll about think entitlements 'are worth the cost' so no.
LBJ Revivalist
ModerateDemocrat1990

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2010, 05:52:56 PM »

Even 60% of the teabaggers you concern troll about think entitlements 'are worth the cost' so no.

Well, I base my opinions because I go on far right forums--The people who drool over Sarah Palin and think she's Ronald Reagan with boobs.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies