The Mormonism Thread 2.0 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 11:12:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  The Mormonism Thread 2.0 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Mormonism Thread 2.0  (Read 13067 times)
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« on: October 30, 2016, 01:30:15 PM »

Two questions.

One, and this is probably stupid - exactly how far does the prohibition on caffein and alcohol go?  What is the Church's official stance on taking any chemical that's extracted from a plant?

Two is more political and relates to the first question: why doesn't Utah have a single dry county?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2016, 01:40:23 PM »

one other thing

Do you mean how we pray? Privately, we pray on our knees or sitting, if possible, with our arms crossed, eyes closed, head bent down. Sometimes we clasp our own hands if not able to cross our arms. We do not hold hands in prayer like other churches (like my grandmother's Nazrene Church) do. In public, usually there's someone standing up and giving a prayer as I have described, but otherwise, no difference.

The prayer itself usually begins with "Dear Heavenly Father", "Our Father in Heaven", or something similar, and we ask for blessings, give thanks for what we have, ask specifics or in general terms, etc. Usually, we address God/Heavenly Father in "thee", "thine", and "thou" terms, though not always. We end the prayer with "in the name of Jesus Christ" or "In Jesus's name", and then always "Amen".

Do Mormons pray only to the Father, or can they pray to the Son and/or others to 'intermediate' on their behalf?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2016, 02:52:27 PM »

No, you've been quite informative.

If I ever write that novel about a dystopian world where Utah becomes a theocracy that splits and winds up in a civil war due to a schism within the LDS Church, I'll be sure to give you credit. Grin
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 04:08:11 PM »

What do you make of this?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length