Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-AZ) in critical condition, 6 others killed in Arizona (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 09:28:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-AZ) in critical condition, 6 others killed in Arizona (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-AZ) in critical condition, 6 others killed in Arizona  (Read 75779 times)
SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.39, S: -4.35

« on: January 08, 2011, 02:06:24 PM »

Well, I'm about 90% sure this is a political assassination.

Tea Party.

Kindly wait until we know for sure before you decide to twist and exploit a tragedy to fit your personal beliefs, Jack Thompson.

No matter who did this, what their views are, or what their reasoning was, this is inexcusable and horrible. May she rest in peace.
SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 02:18:49 PM »

Kindly wait until we know for sure before you decide to twist and exploit a tragedy to fit your personal beliefs, Jack Thompson.

No matter who did this, what their views are, or what their reasoning was, this is inexcusable and horrible. May she rest in peace.

No need to get defensive. Political motivation would obviously cross anyone's mind in this situation. Mere speculation is to be expected, no lectures are necessary.

Sorry, it just upsets me when someone instantly jumps to "clear' conclusions like that, like Jack Thompson would do for video games. I mean, I wasn't a fan of Giffords' politics, but this is still an inexcusable tragedy, and after years of the aforementioned lunatic exploiting situations like this, I tend to be a bit defensive when it comes to it.

Obviously, political assassination is, sadly, a clear possibility, but given how indiscriminate this freak was with who he shot, it just doesn't look at all concise and targeted enough to have been one. To me, at least.
SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 02:24:39 PM »

Alright, yeah, if that's true, that makes political motivation far more likely, unfortunate as that is.

I swear to whatever God there is, no matter what you believe, this is not the way to go about pushing for it. Just...ugh.
SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 02:30:42 PM »

Fox News is reporting that one of the fatalities is a child.

You know, times like this make me really glad Arizona is seemingly one of the most unforgiving states in America. This bastard deserves whatever he gets in retribution, especially so if the above is true.
SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 02:32:36 PM »

RIP. She was incredibly brave to stand by her convictions despite the threat of death.

I'll just put this here:

http://www.alan.com/2010/03/24/palin-puts-gun-sighs-on-target-map-says-ti/

Don't, Lief. Until we know for sure, please, just don't.
SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 02:37:52 PM »

She was shot point-blank in the head. Not to be gruesome or anything, but even if she is still alive at this point...

That's my thinking, unfortunately. The chances are tragically slim.
SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 02:40:08 PM »

According to current reports.
SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2011, 02:46:56 PM »

There are a lot of conflicting reports. I still do hope she's alive.

Agreed.
SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2011, 03:00:33 PM »

Palin just took down the "target list" picture with the crosshairs on the map.

Of course, it took someone to be really shot for her to remove this Smiley)

I would hope it's just basic human decency. Palin is stupid, but I'd hope she's not totally soulless.
SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2011, 03:11:27 PM »

It's disgusting to the point that I don't know what to say anymore.

Barbarians.
Palin, Libaugh, "true conservatives" : all barbarians. Go burn in hell.
And anyone who shares their beliefs belongs to them.
Poor country...

Rest in peace, proud woman who had the courage to stand for justice and progress. You belong to the right sense of history.

...is this seriously your way of responding to a tragedy?

Stop it. For the love of God, stop it.
SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2011, 03:13:42 PM »

It's disgusting to the point that I don't know what to say anymore.

Barbarians.
Palin, Libaugh, "true conservatives" : all barbarians. Go burn in hell.
And anyone who shares their beliefs belongs to them.
Poor country...

Rest in peace, proud woman who had the courage to stand for justice and progress. You belong to the right sense of history.

Everyone with very conservative beliefs is responsible for the act of one crazy? Idiotic.

Thank you, Franzl. Thank you.
SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2011, 03:18:50 PM »

Right now, the focus should be on Congresswoman Giffords, and prayers that she makes it through surgery and is okay. Sad That's the only thing that really matters now for me, but apparently others are ready to start pointing fingers with absolutely nothing to back it.

Again, Tmth, thank you. I'm not even going to respond to the people pointing fingers at their political opposites, because to even give them credence at a time like this is frankly insulting.
SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2011, 03:25:21 PM »

Former Governor Sarah Heath Palin (R-AK) and Todd Palin offer condolences to the Giffords' family.

And I swear, even Boehner's reaction seemed more sincere.
SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2011, 03:35:24 PM »

I don't care if you don't like what I say. Those people are dangerous, they don't belong to a developped country. I'm fed up of having to "accept" their madness in order not to be called a hack.

So all people who are very conservative are insane freaks like this man? Seriously? Is that what you're saying, oh forgiving liberal?
SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2011, 03:37:15 PM »

I don't care if you don't like what I say. Those people are dangerous, they don't belong to a developped country. I'm fed up of having to "accept" their madness in order not to be called a hack.

You're acting a little hysterical here. Roll Eyes

Give up trying to reason with him. He disgraces and insults Giffords just by affiliating with her party. She deserves better than our actually paying attention to him.
SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2011, 03:43:49 PM »

Does anyone know when was the last time a Congressman was assassinated? I feel like this is a pretty rare event in American history.

If she dies, she'll only be the second, I think. Last one was Leo Ryan.
SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2011, 03:59:50 PM »

From Andrew Sullivan's blog:

A reader writes:

I am standing in the aisle at Costco when I found out my Congresswomen, Gabrielle Giffords, has been shot dead up on the north side.
While I’m scrambling with my phone, two couples in front of me are talking about it and suddenly I hear one of the women say, “Well, that’s to be expected when you’re so liberal.”
And the other woman says, “Ohh, so we get to appoint a Republican?”

I did not trust myself to speak. I’m a Soldier. Please remind me what country I am fighting for? At least seven people are dead. She happens to be the only member of Congress married to an active duty military — he’s a Navy officer serving as an astronaut.

People like those are disgraceful.
SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2011, 04:14:29 PM »

That's just lovely. I always thought those people were insane, but this is just ridiculous.

Way to destroy the rest of your credibility, tinfoilers!
SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2011, 04:25:34 PM »

Just imagine what this thread would be if Libertas was still around.

No one would be defending him, or his views - since this freak apparently shared them.

I don't know why I expected better of tinfoilers, but yeah, they've turned to murder now, just to get their points through.
SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2011, 04:35:54 PM »

'Let's not make this political' really is Conservatalk for 'Uh, this is really going to damage us unless we make it about the other guys'.  Disgusting that anyone could think about that at a time like this.

If the right were exploiting this, trying to pin it on illegals or something, I'd tell them the exact same thing: to f**k themselves. Tragedies should never be exploited like this, by anyone, for any reason. End of story.
SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2011, 04:42:27 PM »

Yeah, keep saying "OMG that's a terrible tragedy" etc, and blame people for "politically exploiting the case". Hypocrisy at its height.

You're acting like Jack Thompson. You know that, right? The perpetrator has been confirmed as an insane, conspiracy theorist freak. We still don't know if he had any ties to the Tea Party.
SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2011, 04:43:40 PM »

This. And I must say, surviving being shot in the head is damned impressive.
SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2011, 04:48:25 PM »

Seriously, if there is a doctor in here I'd love him to explain how could the bullet go through Giffords's head and she to survive.
Wouldn't she be at least seriously incapacitated after such an incident?

Well, the brain doesn't take up the entirety of the skull. Just depends on where, exactly, she was shot.
SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2011, 04:54:50 PM »

Yeah, keep saying "OMG that's a terrible tragedy" etc, and blame people for "politically exploiting the case". Hypocrisy at its height.

You're acting like Jack Thompson. You know that, right? The perpetrator has been confirmed as an insane, conspiracy theorist freak. We still don't know if he had any ties to the Tea Party.

They arrested TWO persons and are searching a third one.
So, there is more than one person.

And that is totally hypocritic to deny than Tea Party injected hate in the politics.
Even if the perpetrators aren't linked to Tea Party, their hateful rhetoric could have had an efffect on them.
You can't deny it.

And, thank God, she will survive.
Sadly, people died of the craziness of the mankind.

And, by the way, on the comments of Quebec news sites, they blame the NRA and the Tea Party.

Thanks for cutting throught this buls**t, Max. Kudos.

What bullsh**t? I'm stating what I honestly think: this bitching, in the face of a tragedy like this, is utterly disgraceful. Politics, at the moment, couldn't mean any less to me.
SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2011, 05:03:18 PM »

Jan Brewer just got choked up while speaking about the tragedy. It's always good to see politicians act human.

At least one politician's actually being sincere through a symphony of otherwise meaningless, empty words.
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies