For Mormons....
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 01:35:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  For Mormons....
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: For Mormons....  (Read 416 times)
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 30, 2013, 08:29:52 AM »

Genetic evidence from the late 1980s on the mitochondrial genome indicated that all living women can trace their maternal line of descent to a single female living in Africa about 200,000 years ago, the so-called Mitochondrial Eve.

From Wikipedia. Doesn't this mean the Garden of Eve was not in America as Joseph Smith said, since the first woman (Eve) was not in America? Not trying to start argument here.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 08:35:02 AM »
« Edited: March 30, 2013, 08:39:32 AM by afleitch »

Our resident Mormon will probably not answer that. Others have brought it up before. You can try though Smiley
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 08:44:29 AM »

Oh, thanks for responding! Glad to hear I am not the only one who has thought of this before! What do you think of this?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 10:21:01 AM »

There is no reason why when Adam and Eve were driven out of the Garden they stayed nearby, so there is no geographical reason to dispute that particular point of Mormon theology.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2013, 11:06:03 AM »

There is no reason - none whatsoever - to assume Mitochondrial Eve and the Biblical Eve should be identical. She is merely the last joint ancestor (in the female line) of all humans living today, not the first human.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 01:43:46 AM »

There is no reason why when Adam and Eve were driven out of the Garden they stayed nearby, so there is no geographical reason to dispute that particular point of Mormon theology.

There is no reason - none whatsoever - to assume Mitochondrial Eve and the Biblical Eve should be identical. She is merely the last joint ancestor (in the female line) of all humans living today, not the first human.

As a secularist (yet devout) Mormon (and of course the board's resident Mormon), this is basically my view. You can head on over to my "Let's discuss Mormonism" if you want to talk about other Mormon-centric topics.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies