Applying To Colleges (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 10:48:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Applying To Colleges (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Applying To Colleges  (Read 87645 times)
Link
« on: September 01, 2011, 01:21:38 PM »

Winston Salem State- Good school with a low tuition but it is an all black school. I would not fit in.

I don't know what I want to do yet, either become a history teacher, get a Political Science degree, or something in TV. I also did not take the SAT in high school either which I should have done.

Winston Salem State is an HBU.  It most certainly is not ALL black.  If you are not black you may be eligible for a scholarship depending on your grades/test scores.  My only issue with HBUs is they are not representative of the work environment you will encounter upon graduation.  Its the same reason I wouldn't attended one of those Bible colleges.
Link
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 06:57:20 PM »

How would the quality of education I receive differ between a more prestigious school that I could get into and a more bland state college? Is the extra cost of attending a more prestigious school worth the education in all honesty?

I'll probably just try to transfer to UChicago anyways but this would be good to know.

Some state schools are excellent.  The University of California system for example.  I think the more important thing for most people is picking the right major.  A college degree will not guarantee you a good income so I would be VERY leery of dropping six figures on a history or political science undergraduate degree.  Student loan debt is the next financial crisis for America.  When you visit a college they will sell you a truckload of dreams.  When you are done you will probably have a job paying $40K and tens of thousands of dollars in debt.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies