SB 2018-319: Atlasian School Safety Expansion Act (Final Vote) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 06:11:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SB 2018-319: Atlasian School Safety Expansion Act (Final Vote) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SB 2018-319: Atlasian School Safety Expansion Act (Final Vote)  (Read 2049 times)
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« on: November 11, 2018, 09:57:36 PM »

Kill the bill ... again!
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2018, 05:17:33 PM »

To be fair, we can always come back to the act and amend it.

Wait... what? Why knowingly pass something bad now on a non-binding hope to fix it later? Shouldn't legislators only vote on good bills?
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2018, 05:31:22 PM »

Wait... what? Why knowingly pass something bad now on a non-binding hope to fix it later? Shouldn't legislators only vote on good bills?
Also worth noting that this originated in the House, so there's no chance to amend this before it goes back to the House for an immediate vote.

Maybe not. Technically the bill that passed the House died in the Senate and was then reintroduced in the Senate with a new bill designation. Because it passed the House and died in the Senate I think that means this new bill originated in the Senate and now has to go to the House for the first time. Its all semantics since its substantially similar language but I was happy to have killed this originally so I think in fairness I can't backtrack now and say it didn't actually die the first time when it did.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2018, 05:40:09 PM »

Also worth noting that this originated in the House, so there's no chance to amend this before it goes back to the House for an immediate vote.

Actually, this was technically reintroduced separately after being killed the first time, so I don't think that's the case.

On the other hand, I do think that the House has already passed this exact text.
Plenty of bills have been reintroduced then sent to the other chamber for an immediate vote. Especially if there were no changes in the wording.

I know we have to holdover bills across sessions for practicality reasons, but I have always been uncomfortable with treating a bill passed by 1 chamber during a session that is then amended by the other chamber in a different session as ineligible for amendment by  the originating chamber in the new session when sent back.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2018, 10:09:03 AM »

I think the most deeply disturbing thing of all here is that we are yet again going fail to do anything about school safety.

It should be a regional issue. And I do have a regional bill planned. Kind of hard though when the federal government purports to dictate the architecture and safety protocols of every local school in the country. Mandatory metal detectors in all schools is retarded. Mandatory fencing at all schools is retarded.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2018, 11:45:58 AM »

Abstain

I think the most deeply disturbing thing of all here is that we are yet again going fail to do anything about school safety.

It should be a regional issue. And I do have a regional bill planned. Kind of hard though when the federal government purports to dictate the architecture and safety protocols of every local school in the country. Mandatory metal detectors in all schools is retarded. Mandatory fencing at all schools is retarded.

Well that creates a self-fulfilling prophesy. If the South were to move in this regard, it would discourage such federal action and dictates. However, I would note that we are not completely helpless in this regard either. Even in the context of Regional control of education, the Federal Government should be provide support and resources in a responsible and respectful manner (few strings attached).

I am moving to sponsor Spark's bill on the subject and intend to offer up a Regional alternative.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies