Bye, bye Morsi? 48 hour ultimatum from the generals (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 11:47:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Bye, bye Morsi? 48 hour ultimatum from the generals (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Bye, bye Morsi? 48 hour ultimatum from the generals  (Read 12074 times)
Franknburger
Germany

« on: July 01, 2013, 03:06:15 PM »

I don't like Islamists as a rule, but democratically elected leaders getting ejected by the military always make me uncomfortable.
Franknburger
Germany

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 07:15:11 PM »

Don't forget that the Egyptian army is anything but 'neutral'. Its upper ranks were heavily tied to the Mubarak regime, and I assume there are a number of senior officers that should face corruption trials. This army announcement is not a call for further reform and democratisation, but a roll-back attempt. 
Franknburger
Germany

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 08:06:54 AM »

Egypt shouldn't become like Turkey was until a decade ago with the military calling all the shots and democracy being a weak facade.

I'm squeamish about the military taking control as well, but the Turkish military has been largely responsible for maintaining Turkey's secular governance.  Perhaps they can provide that kind of leadership in Egypt as well.

Secular democratic rule > Secular military rule > Islamist 'democracy'
If the Egyptian military was comparable to the Turkish one, I might to some extent get inclined to follow your line of thought, even though I feel a democratic experiment like in Egypt should be given a bit longer than just one year to see how it works out.[Democracy, in my understanding, also includes articulation of public opinion, demonstrations (though not riots), alliance-building, search for consensus etc..]

However, the Egyptian army is among the worst institutions to lead Egypt now. The press here reported today (don't know where they got their figure from) that 40% of Egypt's wealth is held by senior army ranks, which shows how corrupt they have been and most likely are still. Army officers are also exempt from any income tax. They can pose as "defenders of democracy" as long as they want - to me it is still a bunch of corrupt hacks whose prime interests are maintaining their privileges and covering-up whatever they did during the Mubarak years.

Transparent & accountable government > partial, imbalanced Islamist clean-up > Corrupt army clans retaking control
Franknburger
Germany

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2013, 01:19:01 PM »

Fierce fighting in Cairo as protests continue:

Supporters and opponents of ousted Egyptian president engage in running street battles on capital's 6th October Bridge.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeast/2013/07/201375183931989733.html

Which raises the interesting question why, on Friday afternoon in a predominantly Muslim country, the army released the Brotherhood leaders from custody, and initially withdrew from the streets ..
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies