US House Redistricting: Mississippi (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 26, 2024, 10:24:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  US House Redistricting: Mississippi (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: US House Redistricting: Mississippi  (Read 21532 times)
Vazdul (Formerly Chairman of the Communist Party of Ontario)
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« on: December 21, 2011, 05:10:26 PM »

The amount of changes beyond the minimum necessary to equalize the populations of the four districts may indeed be very small. But,  wasn't keeping "communities of interest" suppose to be standard?

Under that standard, why not have the delta district extend down the entire delta?

I've wondered that too. Both Adams and Wilkinon counties are geographically and politically similar to MS-02 as a whole.

If I were drawing the maps, I would have included Adams and Wilkinson in the 2nd in exchange for some of the eastern counties, but communities of interest are certainly better served by this map than the maps in most states.
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 05:50:59 PM »

The Delta ends at Vicksburg, of course. The non-minimal changes they did precisely united the Delta, at the price of foregoing a few extra Blacks and Dems.

Hmm... So it does.
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 02:44:55 AM »

If increasing the number of Black seats is considered a worthy goal, then why is any more problematic to eliminate White Democratic districts than White Republican districts?

It's not, in and of itself. What sickens me is when Black Democrats enable Republican gerrymanders, either for this purpose or to shore up their existing incumbents.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies