Ireland's abortion referendum
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 01:38:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Ireland's abortion referendum
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Would you vote to repeal the Eighth Amendment of the Constitution of Ireland?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 98

Author Topic: Ireland's abortion referendum  (Read 3614 times)
Cassius
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2018, 04:30:10 PM »

65.2% Yes in this poll so far.  Close to, but slightly under, the actual results in Ireland.  Is this forum no more pro-choice than Ireland?  LOL

Ireland’s not a particularly socially conservative country these days (although it could be argued perhaps that this is skewed by Dublin), as these results (and the results of the Same Sex Marriage Referendum in 2014) go to show, so I wouldn’t be surprised.

As to the question , obvious no.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2018, 04:38:30 PM »

wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 2.43

« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2018, 05:04:54 PM »

Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2018, 05:12:47 PM »

undecided, but ultimately id go with yes. this banned the posibility. rape and incest are crucial exceptions imo, even as a pro lifer.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2018, 05:20:21 PM »

65.2% Yes in this poll so far.  Close to, but slightly under, the actual results in Ireland.  Is this forum no more pro-choice than Ireland?  LOL
It's an American forum. Most Americans don't realize just how non-mainstream pro-life views in Western Europe are.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2018, 05:36:28 PM »

Ireland used to be a great country - too bad all the good Irish emigrated.
Lachi
lok1999
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -1.06, S: -3.02

« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2018, 05:43:26 PM »

Tá!!!
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2018, 05:55:43 PM »

no
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2018, 07:36:52 PM »

Legalized abortion is extremely and unambiguously Good, and others on the Left need to be much more unapologetic (as with myself) about their support for it. Vacuum aspiration et. al. are "unpretty", I suppose, but so is every other legitimate medical practice. Abortion does not warrant the label of "necessary evil" seeing as how there is nothing immoral about terminating a fetus.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2018, 10:35:24 PM »

Vacuum aspiration et. al. are "unpretty", I suppose, but so is every other legitimate medical practice.
The art of medicine exists to treat and cure diseases and to promote good health. Pregnancy is not a disease.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2018, 11:37:51 PM »

Vacuum aspiration et. al. are "unpretty", I suppose, but so is every other legitimate medical practice.
The art of medicine exists to treat and cure diseases and to promote good health. Pregnancy is not a disease.

A mole is also not a disease, and yet many choose to remove it for various reasons (like health, cosmetics etc). It's still a medical procedure that should obviously be kept legal.

Legalized abortion is extremely and unambiguously Good, and others on the Left need to be much more unapologetic (as with myself) about their support for it. Vacuum aspiration et. al. are "unpretty", I suppose, but so is every other legitimate medical practice. Abortion does not warrant the label of "necessary evil" seeing as how there is nothing immoral about terminating a fetus.

Fully agreed. It might sound better and more "nice Smiley Smiley Smiley" to say that you don't like abortion, but this is correct.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2018, 11:59:57 PM »

I'm a straight Dem voter, of Irish heritage, and a passionate voter, but to be honest, in this contest, I wouldn't have voted at all. My values instilled by my relatives would've said NO but my worldview says YES. I would have abstained altogether.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2018, 12:47:57 AM »

I'm a straight Dem voter, of Irish heritage, and a passionate voter, but to be honest, in this contest, I wouldn't have voted at all. My values instilled by my relatives would've said NO but my worldview says YES. I would have abstained altogether.

What do you mean by worldview as opposed to your instilled values?  You mean like a general philosophy or something more specific?
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2018, 12:49:05 AM »

Abstain.
JGibson
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: -6.50

« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2018, 02:22:24 AM »

YES to repeal the 8th.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2018, 05:08:45 AM »

Well, I would argue that surgical abortions - like any surgical procedure - has its own risks, and it does present a physical and mental toll on women (as does pregnancy, for that matter). That's why it's important to promote birth control and pill-induced earlier abortions over surgical ones, which in a well functioning medical system will become the exception, by and large.

(Due to a quirk of Soviet history, Russia has an extremely high surgical abortion rate which in many cases is used instead of birth control.i don't think this is particularly healthy.)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2018, 06:34:01 AM »

Well, I would argue that surgical abortions - like any surgical procedure - has its own risks, and it does present a physical and mental toll on women (as does pregnancy, for that matter). That's why it's important to promote birth control and pill-induced earlier abortions over surgical ones, which in a well functioning medical system will become the exception, by and large.

(Due to a quirk of Soviet history, Russia has an extremely high surgical abortion rate which in many cases is used instead of birth control.i don't think this is particularly healthy.)

It is such that the Soviet Union had more abortions than births. The irony of Soviet liberation of women was that they were then able to work jobs that afforded such a low quality of life, but at the same time could use abortions to continue working those terrible jobs. In the early days after the revolution, gender equality had women working many of the same—strenuous—jobs as men, resulting in work-induced non-pregnancies if you will.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2018, 07:26:16 AM »

^Sigging when I get the chance.

Haha. Thank you.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2018, 07:27:23 AM »

Since no one apparently knows my own views--they seem to assume I'm libertarian half the time--it seemed an appropriate way to imply my affiliation.
Lamda

« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2018, 07:28:17 AM »

Big victory for Ireland.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2018, 09:50:22 AM »

Very glad I will never have to vote on this again.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies