What factors should I consider before declaring a major in undergrad? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 03:32:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  What factors should I consider before declaring a major in undergrad? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What factors should I consider before declaring a major in undergrad?  (Read 1014 times)
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« on: October 03, 2022, 10:19:09 PM »

If I had to do it all again, I maybe would've gone for Geography.  (but am still pretty happy with my international affairs BA)

Geography = a major that combines the human element (political/human geography) with a surprisingly technical and lab-focused element that almost ventures into STEM territory.  Of course, as an IA major my geo courses were just bare-bones basics (ie, Geopolitics 101), but some of those 300 and 400-level courses....them fools had some pretty cool toys to play with.

And also, I met some folks later on overseas who worked for the NGA, and they all seemed pretty chill.   
I applied for an internship with them last week! Hopefully it goes well that would be a dream.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2022, 10:42:35 PM »

If I had to do it all again, I maybe would've gone for Geography.  (but am still pretty happy with my international affairs BA)

Geography = a major that combines the human element (political/human geography) with a surprisingly technical and lab-focused element that almost ventures into STEM territory.  Of course, as an IA major my geo courses were just bare-bones basics (ie, Geopolitics 101), but some of those 300 and 400-level courses....them fools had some pretty cool toys to play with.

And also, I met some folks later on overseas who worked for the NGA, and they all seemed pretty chill.   
I applied for an internship with them last week! Hopefully it goes well that would be a dream.

Word of warning: all of them served in Iraq or Afghanitan and had that 1000-yard stare.  It’s not all roses in the end 
I…considered that a part of the job.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies