Labour Party leadership election 2015 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 04:49:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Labour Party leadership election 2015 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Labour Party leadership election 2015  (Read 140445 times)
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« on: August 01, 2015, 07:47:22 AM »

What is SDA? The Social Democrats is shortened either simply as S or SAP, SDA sounds like it would be a radical wing of the Sweden Democrats. Wink
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2015, 08:29:57 AM »

What is SDA? The Social Democrats is shortened either simply as S or SAP, SDA sounds like it would be a radical wing of the Sweden Democrats. Wink

Well, I have been writing too much about Iceland. Sveriges Socialdemokratiska Arbetareparti might as well be SDA though (SA I suppose SA is out of the question for historical reasons..). Shortening the Sweden Democrats to SD is always a bit confusing. SVD would sound more right wing, like the Swiss SVP.

S is never called Socialdemokratiska arbetarpartiet these days though, not even by their most pompous members. They're either referred to as Socialdemokraterna (formal) or Sossarna (informal). Even on the ballot, they're named Arbetarpartiet Socialdemokraterna, which I guess could give you ASD   

I guess we're sort of derailing this thread though. We should probably continue this discussion in the Swedish General Discussion. Wink

I can't believe we're being criticized for illogical and hard short forms from someone who lives in a country were they shorten Dansk Folkeparti to O. Wink
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 04:12:11 PM »

Seems to support the narrative that Burnham is slipping into third place. I still I can't decide whether I'd prefer him to Yvette.

Can you imagine Andy Burnham or Yvette Cooper as prime minister?

Personally I can't with Burnham but I can just about see Yvette standing in front of the door of number 10 at the head of a minority Labour government.

Bah, no one could see Margret Thatcher as Prime Minister when she was elected leader either. The image of the leader is highly overrated as an explanation to electoral successes and losses. I don't say that it unimportant, or that it can't be a factor, but in the end Niel Kinnock didn't lose in '92 because Major looked more like a Prime Minister, he lost because the Tories succesfully convinced the public that Labour would hike their taxes, and the reason that Blair then defeated Major five years later had little to do with Blair being more ministerial than Kinnock, but more to do with a dire need for change, Torie sleeze, internal fighting among Conservatives about the EU, and the government losing trust in handeling the economy after black Wednesday.

The voters aren't as stupid as you make them out to be Chris. It's not all just about image.
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 03:42:08 PM »

Well 2015 been's the first election year I've actually followed (General Elections are the only ones that count IMO) and it's going to be pretty crap if we have Labour getting crushed at the may election losing their Shadow Chancellor and Foreign Secretary, and then going on to elect someone who is going to be the worse leader since well ever. 

Tony Blair resigns and is replaced by:

Gordon Brown who is more to the left of Blair... who goes on to lose... who is then replaced by:

Ed Miliband who is more to the left of Brown... who goes on to lose... who is then replaced by:

Jeremy Corbyn who is more to the left of Miliband... who goes on to...

You can guess the rest I think Wink

After Jeremy Corbyn, Owen Jones will be elected leader. Tongue
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2015, 07:56:25 AM »

Basically she is saying that the voters were mistaken and selfish in their decision; refreshingly honest and a far cry from many of today's modernisers.

I can not understand why Labour didn't get back in power until 18 years later with that attitude. Roll Eyes
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2015, 02:46:24 AM »

Why is Burnham polling so low? I assumed he'd end up being Corbyn's main opponent. He's probably the best choice to keep the party together.

Unfortunately, though keeping the party together might be a leaders most important job, it is usually not the issue party members vote on in leadership elections.

That is why the Swedish Social Democratic Party still won't allow its members to elect its leader.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies