Santorum publishes Extremist Views in his New Book (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 08:18:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Santorum publishes Extremist Views in his New Book (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Santorum publishes Extremist Views in his New Book  (Read 6794 times)
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« on: July 06, 2005, 10:19:43 AM »

Here are some examples of Rick Santorum's extremist views which he publishes in his new book "It Takes a Family":

Women's Place is in the Home: "In far too many families with young children, both parents are working, when, if they really took an honest look at the budget, they might confess that both of them really don’t need to, or at least may not need to work as much as they do… And for some parents, the purported need to provide things for their children simply provides a convenient rationalization for pursuing a gratifying career outside the home." (It Takes a Family, 94)

Blame Feminism for Women wanting to work: "Many women have told me, and surveys have shown, that they find it easier, more “professionally” gratifying, and certainly more socially affirming, to work outside the home than to give up their careers to take care of their children. Think about that for a moment…Here, we can thank the influence of radical feminism, one of the core philosophies of the village elders." (It Takes a Family, 95)

Who Needs College?Sad "The notion that college education is a cost-effective way to help poor, low-skill, unmarried mothers with high school diplomas or GEDs move up the economic ladder is just wrong." (It Takes a Family, 138)

Slavery Wasn't So Bad:"But unlike abortion today, in most states even the slaveholder did not have the unlimited right to kill his slave." ((It Takes a Family, 241)

Diversity is Bad: "The elementary error of relativism becomes clear when we look at multiculturalism. Sometime in the 1980s, universities began to champion the importance of “diversity” as a central educational value." (It Takes a Family, 406)

Public/Private Schools are bad:"By asking the right question, we can see that when it comes to socialization, mass education is really the aberration, not homeschooling. Never before in human history have a majority of children spent at least half their waking hours in the presence of 25 to 35 unrelated children of exactly the same age (and usually the same socio-economic status), with only one adult to keep order and provide basic mentoring. Never before and never again after their years of mass education will any person live and work in such a radically narrow, age-segregated environment. It’s amazing that so many kids turn out to be fairly normal, considering the weird socialization they get in public schools." (It Takes a Family, 386)

There is a whole campaign's worth of attack ads in this book. Santorum is a complete nutjob who wants to take America back to the Puritan days of the 1700s.

This extremist Senator is a danger to this country and needs to be defeated in 2006.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2005, 10:43:55 AM »

Santorum's own words do more damage to himself than any opponent could ever do.

And I love how Richius is such an apologist for right-wing extremism.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2005, 11:56:02 AM »

Let me say this: I hope people like Scoonie come down to PA, volunteer for Casey, go to the debates and bring up all of these points to Santorum so when he responds he'll clearly explain what he means and make everyone who tried to make him look like an extremist look extremely foolish.

Some of us have jobs, you know. I can't afford to quit my job to go campaign for Casey.

I think this book kills any chance Santorum had for re-election. Read what he said: he doesn't think college helps poor people, he doesn't think women should be out in the workforce, he thinks women are selfish for actually wanting a career, he thinks abortion is worse than slavery, he doesn't think kids should be in public/private schools socializing with their peers, and he thinks diversity is unfavorable.

I take pity on this poor man's wife. She's locked up in the house all day with six kids while he compares Democrats to Nazis on the Senate floor. I'm sure he governs that house like a dictator as well. I can't wait to see how screwed up his kids are when they're older.

Republicans can spin all day, but these are his words and they will do damage to his chances for re-election.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2005, 12:07:30 PM »

I don't have the book (wouldn't waste my money on it).  The quotes are from the "Capital Buzz" website.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2005, 01:08:58 PM »

I don't see the big deal.  Everyone has a right to their own opinion.  Don't like it?  Don't read it.

True, but the voters of Pennsylvania have the right to know his true feelings.  Therefore, the extremist views in his book should be exposed for voters to judge.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2005, 01:15:39 PM »

I highly doubt they know the extent of his extremism. These passages in his book are even surprising to me.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2005, 01:20:14 PM »

How is Moveon any different from right-wing groups like Progress for America, Family Research Council, Focus on the Family, Americans for Tax Reform, and countless others?
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2005, 02:14:11 PM »
« Edited: July 06, 2005, 02:19:49 PM by Scoonie »

Approval ratings look good. He's only dipped into the 40s twice within the past three years of polling in the Quinnipiac polls.

Latest Survey USA poll:

http://www.surveyusa.com/100USSenatorApprovalRatings061305.htm

Approve: 45%, Disapprove: 44%

Highest disapproval percentage of any Senator in the country!
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2005, 02:40:21 PM »

I also have a feeling at this point we should scrap Casey in favor of Hoeffel or Hafer.

No way!! It would be stupid to take any chances on this one.

Besides, Senator Specter will likely be retiring either in 2006 or 2008 and Hoeffel, Hafer, or anther Democrat will be appointed.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies