Cool chart about religion and politics in the US (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 09:41:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Cool chart about religion and politics in the US (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Cool chart about religion and politics in the US  (Read 9206 times)
GaussLaw
« on: August 28, 2014, 08:18:30 PM »

"Liberal Protestants" are not so liberal after all, at least economically speaking.

The Atheist/Unitarian/Agnostic dynamic is quite interesting with regards to economic issues, as well.  My theory is that agnostics are more conservative fiscally because they don't really have an agenda(and tend to have other traits corresponding with fiscal conservatism), whereas atheists tend to be fairly staunch secular humanists, given the potential stigma of the label.
GaussLaw
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 05:42:39 PM »

What are "Friends"?

And why are agnostics libertarian while atheists are liberal?

Friends  = Quakers

I had the same question and my theory was that agnostics are more libertarian because they're less likely to have an agenda, while atheists tend to be "secular humanists."  Also, atheism is a big social stigma, so nonreligious conservatives would likely opt for the agnostic label moreso than liberals, especially given that the atheist stigma is stronger in more conservative parts of the country (I would argue libertarianism is closer to conservatism, on balance).
GaussLaw
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 05:33:25 PM »

What causes the disparity in views on abortion between foreign born Asian Americans and Asian Americans born here? Is it a generational liberalization to the children of immigrants? What causes it?

My guess would be that Asian immigrants often live in rather urban, liberal US cities, so their kids would soak up those views like a sponge.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies