The Hill: Lange set to announce bid against Baucus
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 10:40:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  The Hill: Lange set to announce bid against Baucus
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Hill: Lange set to announce bid against Baucus  (Read 696 times)
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 26, 2007, 09:59:58 AM »

By Aaron Blake
June 26, 2007

Montana state Rep. Michael Lange’s “macaca moment” came before he was even a candidate for Senate. But the ousted House majority leader isn’t going to let his battle with YouTube infamy spoil his aspirations for higher office.

Lange (R) is strongly leaning toward challenging Sen. Max Baucus (D) in 2008 and will make a formal announcement late this week, likely Friday.

He’ll have to mend some fences first. Last month, he was removed from his party’s leadership after being caught on film in a vulgar rant against Montana’s governor.

Though not saying publicly whom he would face, Lange said at the GOP state party convention over the weekend that he would run for statewide office in 2008. State Republicans would be shocked if he takes on anyone but Baucus.

The Montana seat is a top GOP target in 2008, and Lange would be the first major candidate to enter the race.

Once considered by some as a premier candidate against Baucus, Lange’s reputation and standing in the party have been compromised significantly since he lashed out at Democratic Gov. Brian Schweitzer during an April meeting with Republican colleagues.

The episode was caught on tape and has been viewed more than 50,000 times on YouTube. A month ago, state House Republicans replaced him as majority leader in response.

Lange now is on a quest to regain his good name in preparation for a long-anticipated run at higher office. He has continued to apologize for the rant, and last week wrote an op-ed in the Great Falls Tribune in which he asserted that Schweitzer asked him “to betray my caucus” and was threatening his colleagues.

During his rant against Schweitzer, Lange referred to him as “that S.O.B. on the second floor” and said “my message to the governor is: Stick it up you’re a—.” He repeated the phrase and was applauded by those present.

“He can table every bill I have; I don’t give a sh—,” Lange said at the time.

The animosity between Lange and Schweitzer would appear to lend itself to a gubernatorial challenge, but colleagues say Lange has long eyed Baucus and firmly expect him to go that route.

Lange told The Hill yesterday that he didn’t think the episode would complicate his statewide bid.

He’s moving full speed ahead and has hired a campaign treasurer, Lorna Kuney, who has worked for Rep. Denny Rehberg (R).

“People know that it’s against my character; in three terms I had never done that in a caucus meeting or otherwise,” Lange said. “They’ll forgive you, but they won’t forget it. They’ll hold you to a tighter watch for the rest of your political career.”

Lange emphasized that a number of factors, including a tough legislative session and his expected statewide candidacy, contributed to his ouster. But state House Speaker Scott Sales said the YouTube incident was the main one.

“It was definitely a combination, but I think the YouTube thing was the largest mitigating factor in that decision that the caucus made,” Sales said. “Certainly, the YouTube episode is what set the stage for it.”

It’s not yet clear whether state Republicans will rally to Lange’s side, but Lange said after the weekend convention that his goodwill tour has gone “very well.”

The executive director of the Montana Republican Party, Chris Wilcox, said the party stands behind Lange.

“As far as we’re concerned at the state party office, he’s a Republican officeholder, and we support our Republican officeholders and Republican candidates,” Wilcox said.

Rehberg is the consensus top pick and narrowly lost to Baucus in 1996. He has provided little in the way of hints about his political future, and state Republicans expect him to stay in the House.

Rehberg spokesman Bridger Pierce said last week that Rehberg had made no decision about running against Baucus.
Other Montanans mentioned as potential candidates include state Sen. Corey Stapleton, engineer Kirk Bushman and restaurateur Dean Folkvord.

Stapleton told The Hill that “it would not be my intention to” challenge Baucus and that he’s not weighing a bid.

Bushman, a relative unknown to the state party, recently launched a Senate campaign website on which he says he is “considering” a bid.

Lange said he has not sought the support of the national Republican Party. The National Republican Senatorial Committee did not respond to request for comment.

When speculation about him heated up last week, however, the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee (DSCC) wasted little time in reminding everyone about Lange’s fall from grace, deeming him “not fit for the Senate” in a detailed release on Friday.

The release also noted that Lange defaulted on about $75,000 in loans last month.

Lange said the situation should be resolved by the end of the week or soon after. He also said the DSCC release shows how seriously he’s being taken and noted that Democrats have it out for him because he used to be a Democrat.

Lange is a 27-year union member as well, and he said he can take labor, blue-collar and outdoors voters from Baucus.

“That’s flat-out a sign of fear,” Lange said. “They’re probably more afraid of me than they are of anybody else in the state.”

State Democratic Party Executive Director Jim Farrell said Lange has “been  no friend to working families in Montana” and said he lacks the temperament to be a U.S. Senator.

Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 10:12:22 AM »

LOL. Baucus to be reelected with 70% of the vote.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 11:56:19 AM »

Baucus will probably get at least 60% of the vote if not more.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 01:51:25 PM »

During his rant against Schweitzer, Lange referred to him as “that S.O.B. on the second floor” and said “my message to the governor is: Stick it up you’re a—.”

Aaron Blake cannot spell.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies