Rosenstein at DoJ appoints Special Counsel to oversee Russia investigation!! (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 08:40:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Rosenstein at DoJ appoints Special Counsel to oversee Russia investigation!! (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Rosenstein at DoJ appoints Special Counsel to oversee Russia investigation!!  (Read 5966 times)
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« on: May 17, 2017, 05:22:32 PM »

Maybe the trump administration (via Rosenstein and the DoJ) wanted to jump in first with a "special" or independent counsel/commission, so as to give the R's in congress "the cover" they need, to argue against a duplicated need for their own congressional independent commission.
This way trump (the administration) has more "control" over the investigation, and all of the developments and information that might reach the general public.

Tricky move ?
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 05:43:59 PM »

This is a brilliant move -- assuages concerns to a point, and will likely blot out coverage of the Comey memo, at least temporarily.

Taking this back, at least for the time being, since it seems like Trump may not have been involved in this decision.

But he is appointed by Justice Department. Could it really have happened without Sessions?

This is somewhat strange.
Why did it come from Rosenstein and not Sessions ?
Did (and can) Rosenstein by-pass (go over) Sessions, and do this all based on his judgment alone ? I don't know enough about how the (DoJ and Special Council) procedure(s) work in this matter.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 05:59:07 PM »

This is a brilliant move -- assuages concerns to a point, and will likely blot out coverage of the Comey memo, at least temporarily.

Taking this back, at least for the time being, since it seems like Trump may not have been involved in this decision.

But he is appointed by Justice Department. Could it really have happened without Sessions?

This is somewhat strange.
Why did it come from Rosenstein and not Sessions ?
Did (and can) Rosenstein by-pass (go over) Sessions, and do this all based on his judgment alone ? I don't know enough about how the (DoJ and Special Council) procedure(s) work in this matter.

Here's the full text of the order establishing this one: https://www.scribd.com/document/348673310/Order-3915-2017-Special-Counsel

Ok. Thank you.
I also see from other Atlas responses (and I was reminded) that Sessions previously recused himself, from all matters pertaining to "Russia."
I forgot about that.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies