Puerto Rico switches to Primary, moves up to June 1st (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 10:42:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Puerto Rico switches to Primary, moves up to June 1st (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Puerto Rico switches to Primary, moves up to June 1st  (Read 1165 times)
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: March 06, 2008, 11:10:14 PM »

Bad news for Obama...probably.  Although he seems to do better among primary-attending Hispanics than caucus-attending ones (see: Texas)
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 11:20:21 PM »

Bad news for Obama...probably.  Although he seems to do better among primary-attending Hispanics than caucus-attending ones (see: Texas)

Ever hear of California?  Wink

What are you talking about?

Yes, I've seen the results from Imperial County.  See South Texas in the caucus?  Seriously.  I know you're vetting for your chosen candidate here, but c'mon, J. J., you know better.

I hope Tongue
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 01:36:19 PM »

The factors that lead to Hispanics not wanting to vote for a Black candidate just simply do not apply to Puerto Rico to the degree that they do on the mainland.  There never was in Puerto Rico itself the efforts to play black against brown tension that caused that to happen on the mainland.  There will be some of that thanks to Puerto Ricans who moved to mainland and then either went back or influenced the opinions of those who stayed behind, but it won't be as much of a factor as it was in the southwest.

The same effect, though, seems pretty strong in rural areas with no black population to speak of.  Is this really anti-black prejudice, or more pro-Clinton sentiment?  And could that transfer over to Puerto Rico?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies