This Once Great Movement Of Ours
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 03:27:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  This Once Great Movement Of Ours
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 100 101 102 [103] 104 105 106 107 108 ... 151
Author Topic: This Once Great Movement Of Ours  (Read 154890 times)
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2550 on: September 27, 2022, 01:07:09 PM »

I don't think most people will even notice.

Though you have to ask why somebody with no real previous did something so silly.
Leading Political Consultant Ma Anand Sheela
Heat
Poland

« Reply #2551 on: September 28, 2022, 04:48:36 AM »

Though you have to ask why somebody with no real previous did something so silly.
I think I've heard somewhere she's one of those MPs with absolutely outrageous staff turnover...
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #2552 on: September 28, 2022, 04:50:07 AM »

I think I've heard somewhere she's one of those MPs with absolutely outrageous staff turnover...

Amy Klobuchar has joined the chat
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2553 on: September 28, 2022, 07:35:23 AM »

Her present chief of staff is quite well known on Twitter (though mostly for non political stuff)

They have kept rather quiet so far.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2554 on: September 28, 2022, 08:09:24 AM »

Her background is as a sociology lecturer and there are a number of times where she speaks as if she is still talking to 6 people in a room- her questions in Parliament are often bizarre, meandering and odd.

I would note she is the only Labour MP in London who wasn’t on the frontbench under Keir who isn’t A.) retiring B.) in the campaign group 
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #2555 on: September 28, 2022, 11:19:05 AM »

I don't think most people will even notice.

https://www.thejc.com/news/uk/rupa-huq-labour-mp-ealing-central-cleared-over-antisemitism-allegations-party-panel-1.488838?reloadTime=1663113600011

She did have this story in the past.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2556 on: September 28, 2022, 01:51:21 PM »

Labour conference seemed the most normal it has been for years- a lot of it is vibes based ofc but for a party so attuned to buggering stuff up it was a success and had policies that actually got attention.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2557 on: September 29, 2022, 10:43:36 AM »

Fair to say that the JC is not the most reliable or objective source on these things.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2558 on: September 29, 2022, 11:23:05 AM »

What Huq said is indefensible but rather tame compared to what is business as usual for the “natural party of government” in the UK.

With no sway over the media, unpopularity in the Labour party, and a passionately
righteous and therefore easily bamboozled base, the avowedly anti-racist left are the only segment of mainstream politics without an umbrella. As a result, they are just one mistake, bad joke or poorly worded statement away from disgrace and destruction. The last thing any anti-racist would do is roll out their ethnic minority colleagues to run interference for them. So, when the faux-outrage machine kicks in, decades of anti-racism work and hard-earned reputations evaporate in a blink of an eye or the accidental liking of a social media post. This renders actual anti-racism a political risk, one with almost no sign of potential for reward.

As it showed with its diverse leadership contest, in which all of the candidates endorsed the Rwanda deportation policy, the Conservative party is a global leader at the optical illusion of appearing progressive on race while actually being alarmingly regressive. Conservatives are playing Grand Theft Auto while the left of the Labour party plays Tetris. The liberal belief that diversity would have a mellowing or eradicating effect on racism has proven to be a costly fallacy. Despite its necessity and virtuous nature, diversity is no substitute for genuine anti-racism: standing up for ethnic minorities when they are attacked, standing by them in moments of need, and fighting for their rights.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/sep/29/rupa-huq-wrong-left-singled-out-racist-kwasi-kwarteng

Something something double standards etc
Heat
Poland

« Reply #2559 on: October 06, 2022, 04:29:30 AM »

CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2560 on: October 06, 2022, 06:41:27 AM »

Lots of (mostly adverse) comment on the Reeves immigration comments the other day.

Tbh the main thing for me is why was she talking about it anyway, rather than Cooper? Who seems to have been almost invisible more generally ever since her much fanfared re-entry into the SC.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2561 on: October 07, 2022, 09:10:07 AM »

I was going to say a lack of posts on this thread usually shows Labour is doing alright!

Lots of (mostly adverse) comment on the Reeves immigration comments the other day.

Tbh the main thing for me is why was she talking about it anyway, rather than Cooper? Who seems to have been almost invisible more generally ever since her much fanfared re-entry into the SC.

I assumed she was doing the round on the economy and got asked about it and gave the answer- it’s why imho she’ll never be leader as she’s always had quite right wing views on immigration even for the Labour right.

I agree re Yvette. She had some good hits against Patel over Ukraine visas but hasn’t been a lot of outwards facing stuff on crime- which is still a hugeeeee issue.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2562 on: October 07, 2022, 09:12:45 AM »

Emma Reynolds, the defeated MP for Wolverhampton (I want to say south west?) is now running in Wycombe- which I guess was ironically more of a likely pick up at one stage than her old seat.

She was highly rated iirc and it’s interesting to see both her and Heidi Alexander go for tough seats- with this opinion poll lead you’re going to see a lot of people happy to be candidates in seats with 5, 10 or even imo 15K majorities.

As someone on Twitter said imagine having to manage a 400 strong PLP
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2563 on: October 07, 2022, 10:13:11 AM »

Wolves North East. There are good reasons to expect a smaller than average swing in Wycombe next time (High Wycombe proper has a substantial Pakistani population that usually produces a decent Conservative vote, but won't have done in 2019 when Muslim support for the Tories cratered due to specific Boris Johnson related reasons thus the unexpected wrong-way swing), but on present polling it would be academic.
Heat
Poland

« Reply #2564 on: October 07, 2022, 12:54:12 PM »

I was going to say a lack of posts on this thread usually shows Labour is doing alright!

I assumed she was doing the round on the economy and got asked about it and gave the answer- it’s why imho she’ll never be leader as she’s always had quite right wing views on immigration even for the Labour right.

I agree re Yvette. She had some good hits against Patel over Ukraine visas but hasn’t been a lot of outwards facing stuff on crime- which is still a hugeeeee issue.
Both are of course overpromoted.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2565 on: October 07, 2022, 01:17:23 PM »

Labour's policy on that area in general has not altered, in practice, for decades despite the many changes in direction on so many other policy areas over so many different leaderships. Reeves is quite good on her actual brief (if you sometimes here normies say that they think a member of the Shadow Cabinet is good then this must be our conclusion etc), but is a bit... lead footed on other matters.
EastAnglianLefty

« Reply #2566 on: October 07, 2022, 02:29:20 PM »

Given that Starmer has clearly had media training this year, it's odd that Reeves hasn't. She's not a stupid woman, she shouldn't flounder so much when dealing with fairly simple questions.
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #2567 on: October 07, 2022, 02:44:04 PM »

Labour's policy on that area in general has not altered, in practice, for decades despite the many changes in direction on so many other policy areas over so many different leaderships. Reeves is quite good on her actual brief (if you sometimes here normies say that they think a member of the Shadow Cabinet is good then this must be our conclusion etc), but is a bit... lead footed on other matters.
What exactly has been that policy ? cause i'm honestly not seeing any consistent trends, Blair tried to promote skilled immigration, Harold Wilson cracked down on commonwealth immigration and Callaghan kinda ignored it.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2568 on: October 07, 2022, 05:00:01 PM »

What exactly has been that policy ? cause i'm honestly not seeing any consistent trends, Blair tried to promote skilled immigration, Harold Wilson cracked down on commonwealth immigration and Callaghan kinda ignored it.

I mean specifically over asylum seekers and illegal immigration. Labour's broader immigration policy tends to ebb and flow a bit, that's true enough.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2569 on: October 09, 2022, 02:08:39 PM »

Interesting selection in Kensington- former MP from 2017-19 and long-time Cllr Emma Dent Coad going up H&F council leader Stephen Cowan.

Can guess who LOTO would prefer…
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2570 on: October 10, 2022, 06:11:32 AM »

Ilford selection tonight.

For those not in THIGMOO it’s Sam Tarry MP against the sitting council leader Jas Athwal.

Coldstream
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -6.59, S: 1.20

P P
« Reply #2571 on: October 10, 2022, 11:07:35 AM »

Emma Reynolds, the defeated MP for Wolverhampton (I want to say south west?) is now running in Wycombe- which I guess was ironically more of a likely pick up at one stage than her old seat.

She was highly rated iirc and it’s interesting to see both her and Heidi Alexander go for tough seats- with this opinion poll lead you’re going to see a lot of people happy to be candidates in seats with 5, 10 or even imo 15K majorities.

Reynolds isn’t even the only ex-MP going for Wycombe. Ex Gloucester MP Parmjit Dhanda is going for it, and for my money is the frontrunner with backing from the GMB. When I worked in Parliament Reynolds wasn’t well thought of, but I never met her so I can’t claim any great insight.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2572 on: October 10, 2022, 12:13:46 PM »

Reynolds isn’t even the only ex-MP going for Wycombe. Ex Gloucester MP Parmjit Dhanda is going for it, and for my money is the frontrunner with backing from the GMB. When I worked in Parliament Reynolds wasn’t well thought of, but I never met her so I can’t claim any great insight.

Not a huge shock- he’s iirc the head of Back Heathrow, where there’s a significant GMB workforce and Reynolds wouldn’t really be high up their list- she does public affairs for CityUK now.
Coldstream
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -6.59, S: 1.20

P P
« Reply #2573 on: October 10, 2022, 04:47:20 PM »

Tarry was deselected, 499-361.

Cowardice & dishonesty always have to be paid for.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #2574 on: October 10, 2022, 05:10:18 PM »

He's gonna go out swinging... whip suspension incoming:

Pages: 1 ... 98 99 100 101 102 [103] 104 105 106 107 108 ... 151  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length