Bush to ask Congress for another $46 billion for Iraq and Afghanistan
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 05:47:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Bush to ask Congress for another $46 billion for Iraq and Afghanistan
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Bush to ask Congress for another $46 billion for Iraq and Afghanistan  (Read 1368 times)
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 22, 2007, 03:09:00 PM »

When will this end...  Just today, President Bush wants another $46 billion to fund the wars, yet he won't spend $36 billion dollars for kids healthcare.

This will bring the total costs for the wars for 2007 alone to over $200 billion and that brings the entire cost of the war to over $1 trillion, yes that is trillion with a "t".
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 05:17:38 PM »

I think this is the time for some "compromise"

Democrats give Bush his $46 billion, and he gives them the health care money.

If Bush says no, then the Democrats start reducing the amount of money for the war and for the SCHIP  (pronounced SHIP, not S-Chip) program until Bush finds a healthy number for both.

What do Democrats have to lose?  Silly accusations from delusional Republicans?

"You voted against funding the troops!!!!"

I assure you, without money they have nowhere to go but home to their families.  Maybe their children will be able to have health insurance when they leave the military and can't find good paying jobs.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 08:05:17 PM »

Reid and Pelosi are useless Bush enablers, so you'll have to wait until at least the next President. Of course, if it's Hillary, I wouldn't count on this war ending any time soon.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 08:08:52 PM »

My God,

will someone stop Bush? 
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2007, 08:17:41 PM »

Under the Republican's plan by 2017 we will have killed 20k soldiers in Iraq, spending $200 billion a year." - Pete Stark

The Republican tried to strike that from the record. They don't like hearing the Stark truth.

Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007, 08:55:57 AM »

When will this end...  Just today, President Bush wants another $46 billion to fund the wars, yet he won't spend $36 billion dollars for kids healthcare.

This will bring the total costs for the wars for 2007 alone to over $200 billion and that brings the entire cost of the war to over $1 trillion, yes that is trillion with a "t".

Yeah, it's great isn't it?  Even if you follow the bogus Bush logic that the War in Iraq is in some bizarre way linked to a global conflict with Al Qaeda and, thereby, linked to 9/11 the lives of 2800 NY fatcats is worth more than the lives of the hundreds of thousands of kids who would be helped by the S Chip program.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2007, 09:13:19 AM »

Yeah, it's great isn't it?  Even if you follow the bogus Bush logic that the War in Iraq is in some bizarre way linked to a global conflict with Al Qaeda and, thereby, linked to 9/11 the lives of 2800 NY fatcats is worth more than the lives of the hundreds of thousands of kids who would be helped by the S Chip program.

"Fatcats"? Most of the 9/11 victims were ordinary office workers, firefighters, police officers, paramedics and lest I forget, aircraft passengers.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2007, 09:44:31 AM »

Reid and Pelosi are useless Bush enablers, so you'll have to wait until at least the next President. Of course, if it's Hillary, I wouldn't count on this war ending any time soon.

Exactly, they will bend over backwards for Bush as always.

Why do you think Congress has such low approval ratings?
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2007, 10:31:53 AM »

"Fatcats"? Most of the 9/11 victims were ordinary office workers, firefighters, police officers, paramedics and lest I forget, aircraft passengers.

Ok, lets be clear about some things.

One, 9/11 was a terrible tragedy brought on by a group of sick SOB's.  Two, every innocent life is precious no matter what they do for a living.  Three, I do not believe that Iraq is any more linked to 9/11 than invading Uzbekistan would have been.

Four, there were not 2800 firefighter, cops, and paramedics killed, the majority of victims fall into the category "office workers".  The break down on loss of life is approximately 340 Emergency personnel and 60 cops.  The 3 airplanes had approximately 60 people each.  This leaves over 2000 people in our office worker category.  The largest tenant in the WTC was Morgan Stanley, an investment banker.  It stands to reason then that the majority loss of life was investment bankers.  Investment bankers are, traditionally, known as fatcats.

The lives of investment bankers are still precious and important.  But in terms of a dollars spent to lives saved ratio, S Chip has a better return than Iraq.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2007, 11:20:44 AM »

Not everyone who works for an investment banker is a "fatcat". There's PAs, people who answer the phone, cleaners, receptionists...

I never said they were all emergency services personnel.  You used the term "2800 NY fatcats". That sounds like you were saying that they were all "fatcats".
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2007, 11:41:13 AM »

Not everyone who works for an investment banker is a "fatcat". There's PAs, people who answer the phone, cleaners, receptionists...

I never said they were all emergency services personnel.  You used the term "2800 NY fatcats". That sounds like you were saying that they were all "fatcats".

You're right, my use of the term was misleading.  At the same time I tend to believe that Bush and his administration would put higher value on the life of an investment banker over a secretary.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2007, 12:07:06 PM »

I think this is the time for some "compromise"

Democrats give Bush his $46 billion, and he gives them the health care money.

If Bush says no, then the Democrats start reducing the amount of money for the war and for the SCHIP  (pronounced SHIP, not S-Chip) program until Bush finds a healthy number for both.

What do Democrats have to lose?  Silly accusations from delusional Republicans?

"You voted against funding the troops!!!!"

I assure you, without money they have nowhere to go but home to their families.  Maybe their children will be able to have health insurance when they leave the military and can't find good paying jobs.

I fully support the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, but as a 'Democrat' I'd be increasingly sick of this 'one way street' Angry with the Democrats giving Bush yards and him reciprocating about an inch once in a blue moon

Still every cloud has a silver lining Smiley and it won't be too long before Bush is back in Crawford, Texas living out the rest of his life in ignominious bliss

Dave
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2007, 12:14:16 PM »

Uh.... Wow Wakie.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2007, 12:33:14 PM »

At least a little bit of good news.  While President Bush wants this approved by Christmas, Democrats are throwing up their hands and saying "Whoa!".  I'm hoping this Democratic Congress will wake up to what they were elected to do a year ago and not approve this additional funding.  I'm confident they will see the light and say enough is enough, lets start bringing them home.  I think even with a Clinton administration, we will see the troops start coming home by January 1, 2010 the end of her first year in office.  She is not setting any timeline, because she has no idea how big of a mess she will inherit from Bush and she doesn't want to make promises she can't keep (unlike this President).  President Bush in the 2000 election promised to be "a uniter not a divider".  He has spent the last 5 years of his presidency as the exact opposite "a divider not a uniter".  Another promise broken "Mission Accomplished".  Sure, mission 1 was accomplished, but that created a whole multitude of missions.  I normally don't agree with Ted Kennedy and the far left fringe in my party on a lot of things, but Iraq is indeed a quagmire.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2007, 01:03:41 PM »

The only way Iraq can be viewed as a success is that it may have drawn some Muslim extremists to fight there as opposed to in Afghanistan (where the terrain is more favorable to an insurgency).
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2007, 01:58:57 PM »

The only way Iraq can be viewed as a success is that it may have drawn some Muslim extremists to fight there as opposed to in Afghanistan (where the terrain is more favorable to an insurgency).

But the social and political conditions are not (except in some of the more isolated or Taliban-loyalist areas)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2007, 02:06:12 PM »

Pelosi would rather stand up to Pete Stark and make him apoligize than stand up to Bush and end this war.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2007, 05:28:45 PM »

Democrats won't do anything to stop this.

And yes, George W. Bush laughs his head off when American kids are sent home in a body bag.  He thinks it's the funniest thing in the world, other than the fact that he can get away with it.  The man isn't an idiot; he knows the Iraq war is a failure, and he knows that he's exaggerated the threat of "terrorism" to manipulate all of us, like his predecessors and "communism" before him.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies