US Job Growth (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 08:28:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  US Job Growth (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: When will we see positive job growth again ?
December 2009

Q1 2010

Q2 2010

Q3 2010

Q4 2010

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 14

Author Topic: US Job Growth  (Read 2331 times)
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« on: December 09, 2009, 06:41:34 PM »

Maybe 2010.

The productivity increases of Q3 2009 were pretty impressive.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 05:02:32 AM »
« Edited: December 20, 2009, 06:33:08 AM by phknrocket1k »

Maybe saying "never" is being too negative.

But honestly i don't see where the jobs are going to come from that quickly.     Small gain 4Q 2011??  Lets face it, this country will never be what it was 30 years ago when it comes to jobs.  The Gap between the rich and poor is huge.

Really the amazing thing was that there was ever a brief period of toleration of working class well being.  

I agree.  
Though janitors don't deserve $60k a year anymore than a Wall Street CEO deserves $60M.  

(My father used to do income tax preparation years ago, one customer was a veteran union member who worked as a janitor at an automotive factory, and his income was just over $60k.  That's ridiculous money for a mop-jockey.)  

Not really. Seems about right. How else do you expect him and his family to live a decent middle class existence?

Nobody should get paid any more or less than P*MPL (which should equal the wage). Which I expect is much lower than 60k.

As for the main topic.

I expect to see rather anemic growth in the job market. Many of the lower tier jobs will be replaced by automated technology (recovery may even entail increased spending in productivity boosting capital as opposed to additional hiring). I expect both the scale and substitution effects to not favor labor over the long run.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 11:13:20 PM »

Not really. Seems about right. How else do you expect him and his family to live a decent middle class existence?
Does everybody that does unskilled labor deserve a decent middle class existence?
Ideally, yes.

It only will and should occur if P * MPL is >= W.

Assuming W = Enough for a middle class existence.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies