2020 Oregon Redistricting
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 05:37:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  2020 Oregon Redistricting
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 18
Author Topic: 2020 Oregon Redistricting  (Read 22093 times)
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: January 06, 2021, 01:47:52 PM »

Here is a good way to draw OR-02 if you are looking for what is best for the Dems. Rest of state is Clinton + 20.7.
Is there a road connection between Bend and the rest of the state? (that doesn't pass through your OR-02)

Nope. There are no highway connections between Eugene and Bend that stay entirely within Lane and Deschutes Counties.
That's what I thought; this map is illegal.

Only as illegal as SCOOR wants it to be.
And I am fairly sure that SCOOR is controlled by Democrats.

As the state Constitution states districts have to be contiguous by road, it would take massive creativity by the court there.
No more creativity than it will take the SCOFL to ignore the fair districts amendment of that state, which they are definitely going to do.

Nah thats more subjective . A better example would be if the Ohio Supreme court just cancelled the county rules. Again it isn't that hard to find a road connection somewhere.  However the real issue isn't the court but if the OR GOP quorum busts.

If the OR GOP quorum busts, then the law is that OR SOS Shemia Fagan (a Democrat) draws the maps.

That's legislative, congressional goes to the courts which will def be Dem slanted although probably less so.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #151 on: January 06, 2021, 01:49:29 PM »

There's a much cleaner way to achieve the same 5-1 impact. Putting OR-02 in a blender to rescue a few blue precincts in Southwest Oregon just isn't worth it imo.

Not sure off the top of my head but I'm pretty sure Coos and Curry have better partisanship for D's then Umatilla. Might be smarter to adjust the sink accordingly, unless you plan to sink Eastern Oregon into Portland (which this map makes more convenient).

On a related note, I think OR-242 connects Lane directly to Deschutes via road, though as it's a seasonal road IDK the legality of that under OR law.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #152 on: January 06, 2021, 01:54:16 PM »

There's a much cleaner way to achieve the same 5-1 impact. Putting OR-02 in a blender to rescue a few blue precincts in Southwest Oregon just isn't worth it imo.

Not sure off the top of my head but I'm pretty sure Coos and Curry have better partisanship for D's then Umatilla.
They do, but the point is to make a hard 5-1 gerry without drawing bizarrely shaped districts.

unless you plan to sink Eastern Oregon into Portland (which this map makes more convenient).
Yes.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #153 on: January 06, 2021, 02:25:35 PM »

Not sure off the top of my head but I'm pretty sure Coos and Curry have better partisanship for D's then Umatilla.
They do, but the point is to make a hard 5-1 gerry without drawing bizarrely shaped districts.

unless you plan to sink Eastern Oregon into Portland (which this map makes more convenient).
Yes.

Still not super-easy because eastern Multnomah is not actually very Democratic, but definitely more geographically convenient.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #154 on: January 06, 2021, 02:27:15 PM »

Yes.

Still not super-easy because eastern Multnomah is not actually very Democratic, but definitely more geographically convenient.
I mean it's possible to get a Clinton+3 Eastern Oregon district if you take it into Laurelhurst, so getting a safer, neater district should be a cakewalk with the redder half of Eastern Oregon in a sink.
Kamala's side hoe
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #155 on: January 06, 2021, 08:19:13 PM »

On a related note, I think OR-242 connects Lane directly to Deschutes via road, though as it's a seasonal road IDK the legality of that under OR law.

I thought so too, but Google Maps says it passes through Linn County for half a mile in between those two counties.

I wonder what the district(s) containing Bend and Pendleton in Blairite's map would look like. 
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #156 on: January 06, 2021, 08:23:38 PM »

I thought so too, but Google Maps says it passes through Linn County for half a mile in between those two counties.

I wonder what the district(s) containing Bend and Pendleton in Blairite's map would look like. 
On DRA it looks like OR-242 barely avoids cutting through Linn. Not sure if this affects legality though as it is a seasonal road, and the DRA map could be off.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #157 on: January 06, 2021, 08:36:56 PM »

Also, I checked out Blairite's concept, and early reports aren't favorable. In order to get the 6th district past Clinton+10 without blatantly reaching an arm deep into Portland, the sink has to shift upward while ceding population in the west. This, in turn, makes it more difficult for the 3rd to absorb Republican territory, forcing it down along the coast, and still results in a very tight 5th district. This is what I got: https://davesredistricting.org/join/253fd524-6165-4cb1-94c9-1887713e8538

Especially after the Biden thumping here I'm not sure what counts as Safe, but using Clinton+10 as a standard this concept doesn't seem to work as well as the snake-along-the-coast. Eager to see Blairite's final map though.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #158 on: January 07, 2021, 11:44:47 AM »

Also, I checked out Blairite's concept, and early reports aren't favorable. In order to get the 6th district past Clinton+10 without blatantly reaching an arm deep into Portland, the sink has to shift upward while ceding population in the west. This, in turn, makes it more difficult for the 3rd to absorb Republican territory, forcing it down along the coast, and still results in a very tight 5th district. This is what I got: https://davesredistricting.org/join/253fd524-6165-4cb1-94c9-1887713e8538

Especially after the Biden thumping here I'm not sure what counts as Safe, but using Clinton+10 as a standard this concept doesn't seem to work as well as the snake-along-the-coast. Eager to see Blairite's final map though.

Now who said you could only cross the Cascades twice?

OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #159 on: January 07, 2021, 11:50:37 AM »

Touche. That works pretty nicely, actually.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #160 on: January 07, 2021, 04:10:33 PM »

The aim of an optimal Dem gerry, imo, in OR anyway, shouldn't be to make 5 seats safe. It should be to have all Cascades+parts of Southern Oregon to together produce R vote sink, and then make everything else at least a Clinton district.
ottermax
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.09

P P
« Reply #161 on: January 07, 2021, 04:34:09 PM »

I really like this map! I wonder if you could reduce the splitting of Portland by shifting some of the coastal district's precincts from Washington County to the McMinnville-based district. It might make the map appear less gerrymandered while still maintaining Democratic advantage.

I'm just really impressed with how much this looks fairly reasonable while still being very much a gerrymander.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #162 on: January 07, 2021, 04:40:08 PM »

I really like this map! I wonder if you could reduce the splitting of Portland by shifting some of the coastal district's precincts from Washington County to the McMinnville-based district. It might make the map appear less gerrymandered while still maintaining Democratic advantage.

I'm just really impressed with how much this looks fairly reasonable while still being very much a gerrymander.

Thank you. Unfortunately, it really needs those 90-10 precincts out of Portland to work. Trading that for Washington County just doesn't create strong enough districts.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #163 on: January 07, 2021, 06:15:43 PM »

Thank you. Unfortunately, it really needs those 90-10 precincts out of Portland to work. Trading that for Washington County just doesn't create strong enough districts.

Funnily enough there actually isn't a single precicnt in Portland where Clinton got 90.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #164 on: January 12, 2021, 08:02:30 AM »

For fun, here is a theoretical R gerrymander of Oregon. Ends up as a 3-3 map, so it should be fair Smiley /s

Should be fairly self-explainatory

District 2 is Trump+15, R+8
District 4 is Trump+17, R+9
District 6 is Trump+13, R+7
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #165 on: January 12, 2021, 05:33:59 PM »

For fun, here is a theoretical R gerrymander of Oregon. Ends up as a 3-3 map, so it should be fair Smiley /s
In Oregon at least pure "proportional" would be 3D-2R-1S, given the state's lean towards Democrats.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #166 on: January 27, 2021, 09:40:16 AM »

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.3727655,-121.5748073,149776m/data=!3m1!1e3

Hood River is west of the cascades as far as I can tell on Google Earth.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #167 on: January 27, 2021, 03:27:53 PM »

TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #168 on: January 28, 2021, 01:32:03 AM »

Nah, Hood River is in the Cascades' Eastern foothills. The eponymous river that flows through it drains the eastern side of Mt. Hood. It is clearly east of their crest.

For the purpose of redistricting, I think it is still defensible to consider on either side as convenient, however, because it is culturally linked with Portland as much as it is with the rest of Eastern Oregon, and does not require driving over a mountain pass to cross the Cascades to Portland.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #169 on: January 30, 2021, 03:32:12 PM »

Here's a fair state Senate map

https://davesredistricting.org/join/ef8f534b-30cd-4527-ab7b-da36c73b3549

Portland inset

Per DRA there are 6 Republican districts, 8 Democratic districts and 16! competitive districts

The median districts would be districts 5 and 3. District 5 is a Medford+Ashland district that is D+3 and Clinton+7. District 3 is the district centered around Bend, which is Clinton+3, R+1
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #170 on: January 30, 2021, 05:02:30 PM »

Here's your Fair Oregon (link)

Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #171 on: January 30, 2021, 06:06:43 PM »

One weird obsession of mine that doesn't really matter: Sauvie Island should probably go with Clatsop and Washington Counties.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #172 on: February 01, 2021, 10:56:14 AM »

Thoughts on this map?

https://davesredistricting.org/join/d88243e2-a758-4030-8e26-27e40d1144f6
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #173 on: February 01, 2021, 01:31:20 PM »

No complaints on my end... won't happen though.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #174 on: February 01, 2021, 01:50:55 PM »

It balances out because my map of Georgia is an unintentional light D mander.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 18  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies