Places where "right-to-work" is actually popular (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 11:34:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Places where "right-to-work" is actually popular (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Places where "right-to-work" is actually popular  (Read 2471 times)
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« on: December 21, 2015, 12:24:27 PM »

I live on the North Carolina border. Although most of the factories on my side of the border have already closed because of NAFTA, there are still some across the border in NC. My uncle for example works at a Koch bros factor near Stoneville. I hear a lot of NRTW Foundation commercials around here, and its rare that people vote for unionization.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 11:51:39 PM »

Just for clarification, right to work does not protect your right to not be forced to join a union in order to hold a job. The implied right not to associate under the 1st Amendment probably protects that, at least as far as state mandated unionization goes. Right to work says if you exercise your right to not join a union, you can likewise not be required to pay protection money to whatever union or collective bargaining unit may represent other workers at your place of employment. In half of the states, there is automatic payroll deductions for costs unions purportedly incur to "represent" non-union employees. So you can't be forced to join a union, or to participate in union activities, or to fund union activities unrelated to general grievance representation under the Constitution. Right to work laws expand worker rights by saying non-union members may not be required to fund ANY union agency fees.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies