NYT: If Landrieu has a path to victory, it's incredibly narrow (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 12:37:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NYT: If Landrieu has a path to victory, it's incredibly narrow (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NYT: If Landrieu has a path to victory, it's incredibly narrow  (Read 5799 times)
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« on: May 10, 2014, 08:20:50 AM »

Fortunately she looks set for a humiliating defeat. Good riddance, too.
And seriously, no one is saying "she looks set for a humiliating defeat". No one has said she's going Blanche.

It's pretty clear that the numbers for her to win aren't there. Black turnout may increase slightly, but she's going to drop pretty steeply with Whites- plus she's running in 2014, which is shaping up to be a pretty good Republican year, unlike 2008, which was the best Democratic year since Watergate.

Even then, she barely edged out a win. I know some on here seem to think she has extraordinary political skills (which I don't see evidence for), but she's finished.
She's not finished.
Please Talleyrand, don't join the hysterical folk of this forum who said 2 month that Pryor was going Blanche. That's definitely not the case.
And Cassidy isn't clearly leading her in the run off right now.

There's a difference between saying someone is " going Blanche " and just saying someone is an underdog for reelection
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 02:25:57 PM »

All this said, I think it's a shame Louisiana won't have a progressive senator. They best they'll get is a fairly conservative Democrat like Landrieu.
Bandit:
-she voted for Obamacare
-she voted for DODD FRANK
-she voted for  DADT
-she voted for the minimum wage increase.
-she's pro union

I wouldn't call her a conservative democrat.

Doesn't she support Keystone XL?
Yes, she supports that.
But Bandit, you need to realize:
Keystone XL will never pass under a democrat president. And this project will always pass under a republican president.
Her support doesn't change nothing. She just has the backing of the oil industry.
She's also against the public option
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 02:36:33 PM »

ITT: People who think we should run a Bernie Sanders in Louisiana
Nobody's suggested anything like that
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 04:44:49 PM »

The weird things is that Atlas loves Mary Landrieu and Mary Pryor but hate Blanche Lincoln when there's no significant difference between the three useless Blue Dogs.

Landrieu, yes. Pryor? Where were you months ago, when half of the Red Avatars here refused to endorse Pryor? So many people were going on about how he was doomed, and they were glad.

Oakvale doesn't seem concerned with reality, just with making ignorant declarations about forum consensus.

Sorry, I look forward to my own whiny PM about how you demand respect.

Globally what Badgate has said. There isn't a single thing that he has said that is true. Landrieu isn't Pryor or Lincoln. Pryor is badly hated on this forum. Landrieu isn't a useless blue dog.

And come on Oavale, stop being a fake leftist.
You're not a progressive, you're pro right to work, you're pro Reagan tax cuts, you seem to oppose minimum wage increase. Except on Keystone, she's more progressive than you.

A) "Right to work" is a position that's only right-wing in an American context. I really don't see what's remotely conservative about not forcing people to join labour unions. B) I'm pro some Reagan tax cuts. I'm not actually a believer in trickle-down nonsense. C) I don't oppose the minimum wage increase. I think the minimum wage in the United States is too low. What I would oppose is doubling it by raising it to $15 overnight.

I don't know if I'm "progressive" or whatever. I'm a left-winger who thinks that markets do a better job than government in 99% of cases. That's hardly a controversial position.

e: Of course I don't have an "ideology" or whatever because I'm not a politician, but right-wing policies are generally worse than left-wing policies, although the Left per se is more annoying than the Right.
That's not at all what right to work is
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies