DC Unrest Megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 04:49:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  DC Unrest Megathread (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: DC Unrest Megathread  (Read 271745 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: January 06, 2021, 07:15:03 PM »

MY QUEEN IS ALIVE!

Cori Bush is actually very underrated but it has nothing to do with this.

It's easy for people named Bush to be misunderestimated.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2021, 07:29:31 PM »

I wonder how this will be remembered 10 years from now
Possibly as the day the Republican Party died. I really can't see how Trumpists will be able to remain in the same party as those who don't drink his Orange Flavor-Aid.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2021, 07:30:45 PM »

Do Missouri and Texas have provisions to recall Senators? Hawley and Cruz need to be recalled. Their Republican governors can appoint 2 new Republicans.

Even in those States that have recall provsions, they don't apply to Federal office holders.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2021, 07:42:03 PM »

Trump should not be impeached or removed from office. That would turn him into a martyr and further radicalized his supporters.

At this point, his supporters’ needs or wishes are irrelevant.

Trump is leaving office in 2 weeks. Removing him a few days early is not worth the cost.
Worth it to ban him from running in 2024.

Sadly, a successful impeachment wouldn't bar him from running.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2021, 08:28:30 PM »

Will Trump get a presidential library?

He’s not simply a bad president...he’s a terrorist.

Yes, but it will be located in Moscow.

Why does Idaho get stuck with it?
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2021, 08:40:39 PM »

This was the closest thing we’ve ever seen to a Beer Hall Putsch or Mussolini March on Rome. If Trump had actually led the mob to the Capitol it would be effectively indistinguishable.

That’s pretty terrifying.

Do you really think Trump could have climbed the Capitol steps?
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2021, 08:50:25 PM »

I was watching FOX News all day, and they were being fair and somewhat critical of Trump.  I actually feel that they are the least biased of the Big 3 cable networks during the daytime. But, then, primetime comes and Tucker Carlson comes on...

Start voting for Democrats.  That’s your only option.
But we're the heathen baby killers.

I would think Republicans would be more likely to kill heathen babies than Democrats.   Devil  Democrats are decidedly in favor of more heathen babies as future Democratic voters.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2021, 07:06:27 AM »

Has this "senior advisor" resigned yet? Otherwise I don't care what they have to say.

Chief of Staff to the First Lady has resigned.

I first read this as "Chief of Staff and the First Lady have resigned" and my thought was "yeah, sounds about right."

The First Lady probably wishes she could resign.

She's been resigned to her fate for at least four years.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2021, 02:27:04 PM »

Trump has lost *checks notes* the Envoy to Northern Ireland.

Seriously though. It's incredibly how this is what it took to get Mulvaney, Trump's worst enabler for most of 2017-18 to flip.

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that Mick Mulvaney has shown more class than Joe Wilson. Not because Mick is classy, but that Joe ain't.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2021, 02:34:26 PM »

Remember when republicans kept going on about mob rule?  And then this mob shows up.

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2021, 03:05:08 PM »

He's trying to purge his cabinet to avoid the 25th amendment. Impeach him today!

All that's needed is a majority. A majority of no one is zero.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2021, 03:14:39 PM »

Schumer is firing the Senate Sergeant-At-Arms.

How?  Until the two Georgia winners and Harris' replacement are sworn-in as Senators and Harris is sworn in as Veep, McConnell is still Majority Leader.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2021, 12:58:57 AM »

Last line clear hint for 2024. If he truly does leave office on January 20th and nothing weird happens again then that's his plan.

January 6th ruined any chance he hadof winning a 2024 general election. Time will tell if can still gain the nomination.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2021, 10:10:39 AM »

Massive convoy of police cars and other emergency personnel passed my apartment complex a little while ago. They were headed in the general direction of Capitol Hill. 

To everyone who lives in DC and area: please stay safe tonight!  Appreciate the first hand reports.  I have been jumping back to this thread for over a day now and it has been great.

I don't think the severity of this terrorist attack sunk in right away.  Every network was jammed yesterday.  I went and grabbed a newspaper today, and there was an entire section dedicated to this.  I will file it in with the 9/11, Y2K, the JFK assassination, and orher newspapers that my family has collected over the years.

To everyone being mean or generalizing all 74 million Americans who voted for this guy,  please show compassion.  These terrorists are/were radicals, not ordinary folks.  Much like all the trouble in the summer with the riots in Minneapolis and Kenosha, or the Charlottesville rally and terrorist attack in 2017.  If anything, these events show us the true dangers of extremist ideologies and internet echo chambers.  Right wing terrorism appears to be a big threat now.  Be kind to your neighbors, family, and friends... and even strangers on the internet.  People got duped by a conman, and if they believed the election fraud nonsense, they're rightfully upset right now.  Biden's unity message has a certain panche to it that really resonates well with me.  His speech yesterday was beautiful.
Good post. I agree completely.

After everything the district was put through yesterday, it has to become a state.

Why?  Pretty much everything that happened, happened in the parts that would've  not been part of the proposed Douglas Commonwealth. I really don't see how what happened would have played out differently in any significant manner had Douglas Commonwealth been a thing.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2021, 01:15:31 PM »

Massive convoy of police cars and other emergency personnel passed my apartment complex a little while ago. They were headed in the general direction of Capitol Hill. 

To everyone who lives in DC and area: please stay safe tonight!  Appreciate the first hand reports.  I have been jumping back to this thread for over a day now and it has been great.

I don't think the severity of this terrorist attack sunk in right away.  Every network was jammed yesterday.  I went and grabbed a newspaper today, and there was an entire section dedicated to this.  I will file it in with the 9/11, Y2K, the JFK assassination, and orher newspapers that my family has collected over the years.

To everyone being mean or generalizing all 74 million Americans who voted for this guy,  please show compassion.  These terrorists are/were radicals, not ordinary folks.  Much like all the trouble in the summer with the riots in Minneapolis and Kenosha, or the Charlottesville rally and terrorist attack in 2017.  If anything, these events show us the true dangers of extremist ideologies and internet echo chambers.  Right wing terrorism appears to be a big threat now.  Be kind to your neighbors, family, and friends... and even strangers on the internet.  People got duped by a conman, and if they believed the election fraud nonsense, they're rightfully upset right now.  Biden's unity message has a certain panche to it that really resonates well with me.  His speech yesterday was beautiful.
Good post. I agree completely.

After everything the district was put through yesterday, it has to become a state.

Why?  Pretty much everything that happened, happened in the parts that would've  not been part of the proposed Douglas Commonwealth. I really don't see how what happened would have played out differently in any significant manner had Douglas Commonwealth been a thing.

There was about an hour delay between Bowser's request to the DoD for National Guard and its authorization, and it was denied multiple times on Trump's orders. Hogan and Northam tried to send forces but they were also refused while the Capitol was still in danger. If the Douglass Commonwealth was independent, the Governor/Mayor would be able to unilaterally send in the protection needed.

How would the Governor/Mayor of Douglas Commonwealth be able to unilaterally do what Governors of Virginia and Maryland were unable to do?  Under the current Statehood proposal, the Capitol would not be part of Douglas Commonwealth.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2021, 01:25:05 PM »

They can be impeached and convicted, just like any member of the judicial or executive branches. Indeed, most impeachment proceedings have been against judges, with Justice Chase impeached but not convicted in 1804. That said, I can't see Thomas being impeached, let alone convicted, based on his wife's tweet.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2021, 01:28:36 PM »

As if he planned on going anyway unless the coup had succeeded and overturned the election.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2021, 01:33:54 AM »

Kind of trivial at this point, but nevertheless amusing:

Who needs a degree from Lehigh University, when you can get one from Trump University?
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2021, 07:41:24 PM »

It seems that Trump's business will be hurt a lot.
If I were him, I would sell all assets as soon as possible.

It'll be tough. Ongoing criminal investigations, hesitance from even Russian or Chinese banks to finance him, business partners fleeing, and an extremely depressed hospitality industry could mean he can't even afford to sell.

Regardless, he needs to sell and fast, because the price is going down, fast.

Who would want to buy a former Trump asset?  Even with Trump no longer associated with it, the Trump stench will reduce its value. Unless it's a property that's uniquely suited for your business, best to wait to buy it out of the bankruptcy proceedings where you can at least say you didn't give Trump money, just his creditors.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2021, 07:46:33 PM »

Trump Terrorists are being added to the no-fly list:

It’s amazing that they genuinely seemed to think there would be no consequences.

Treason doth never prosper: what's the reason? Why, if it prosper, none dare call it treason. — John Harrington

They thought they were going to succeed.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2021, 07:51:20 PM »

From his podcast episode yesterday, Dan Crenshaw calls out Trump, Giuliani, etc. pretty brutally.

"There is nothing to be proud of. There is no patriotism to be had by what happened...Don't call yourself a patriot by what happened. You got someone killed. You accomplished nothing."

"...but none of them ("good" Republicans) were amping up January 6th. None of them were telling people to come and fight, and stand, and 'This is your revolution!...people I just mentioned (Congressmen with military experience who protected the Capitol during the coup) actually know what a fight looks like. The people who did hype everybody up, and you know who you are, and all of you know who they are, they were nowhere to be found. These cowards - who've never been in a fight themselves, who created one and then ran."

Slight on-the-fence-ism as is Crenshaw's signature trait, but I'm really impressed that he's willing to risk his 2024 primary odds this way. I saw him as one who would defend the events that happened.

His district is pretty marginal and he probably has more to beer out of a general election challenge. Coming down on the capitol rioters now that there's been a loss of life among law enforcement is probably the safest thing to do.

He knows exactly what he's doing.

And yet you wonder why your speech-to-text generator causes people to think you're drunk posting !?!
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2021, 04:16:13 PM »

lmfao @ caring that much about golf

He cares about real estate. Hosting the PGA gives him an excuse to overcharge for  the associated facilities that the gullible might swallow.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2021, 08:48:05 AM »

There's probably some sort of reasonable accommodation test: for example, it's probably a reasonable accommodation for the prison mess hall to offer a pork-free option for Jewish and Muslim inmates. It isn't a reasonable accommodation to offer one inmate an organic Whole Foods diet.

There's more than simply not serving pork when it comes to Hebrew and Islamic dietary limitations.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2021, 11:25:41 AM »

CNN on air is reporting Mr. Trump considers pardoning himself, Don Jr. and Rudy for their role in the terrorist attack.

Could a self pardon allow him to run in 2024 even if he’s barred from doing so by the Senate?

No.

Quote from: Article II Section 2 Clause 1
he shall have Power to grant Reprieves and Pardons for Offenses against the United States, except in Cases of Impeachment.

So regardless of whether or not self-pardons are valid, he can't prevent being blocked from office by a Congressional impeachment.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2021, 10:52:00 AM »

As Donald Trump puts out statements written by his sane lawyers to try and defend himself, one of his insane lawyers makes a statement of his own.

Is this real life?
is this just fantasy?
Caught in a landslide
no escape from reality
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies