NE2: Role of the Speaker Act (Law) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 03:03:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  NE2: Role of the Speaker Act (Law) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NE2: Role of the Speaker Act (Law)  (Read 701 times)
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« on: January 07, 2014, 08:38:45 PM »

I'm open to amendments on this. Simply makes sure the Speaker and Lieutenant Governor cannot be the same person. In addition, gives the CJO power to open a session of the Assembly, aka calling for a vote on Speaker and administering that election.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 08:57:44 PM »

I'm not sure I'm comfortable with leaving this power solely with the CJO.  I have full faith in dallasfan, but looking beyond his time as CJO we haven't always had the most prompt response from the office.

Shouldn't the Lt. Governor have the power to open nominations and hold elections for speaker, too?

This new power for the CJO, would be in addition to the Lieutenant Governor's power. We can amend to read "in absence of a Lieutenant Governor" if that works better for ya'll.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 09:20:44 PM »

Cincinnatus' Amendment is friendly and I propose the following amended amendment:
[quote]
The Northeast SOAP is amended to include the following:

1. The positions of Speaker of the Assembly and the Lieutenant Governor may not simultaneously be filled by the same person.
2. The Lieutenant Governor of the Northeast shall be the primary administrator of the election for Speaker of the Assembly. The Lieutenant Governor shall have the power to open nominations and hold elections for Speaker of the Assembly in the event that the office of Speaker is vacant. 
3.The Chief Judicial Officer of the Northeast, in the event that the Lt. Governor is absent, or the office is vacant, shall have the power to open nominations and hold elections for Speaker of the Assembly in the event that the office of Speaker is vacant. 
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 07:37:20 AM »

I agree with the Cincinnatus amendment.  It is to the point.

However, I am of the belief that the Lieutenant Governor really does not have all that much responsibility, and I see no conflict or problem in the Lieutenant Governor holding both offices at the same time.

When I was in the Assembly, we had a fiasco with being unable to elect a Speaker because the Lieutenant Gov and Speaker was the same inactive person.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 01:36:16 PM »

You mean serve as, not run - Earthling.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies