Is the Current President Pro Tempore System a Good Idea? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 04:05:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Is the Current President Pro Tempore System a Good Idea? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
Yes, It's Fine

No, It's Stupid

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 18

Author Topic: Is the Current President Pro Tempore System a Good Idea?  (Read 763 times)
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« on: November 17, 2018, 02:47:17 PM »

Currently, by tradition, the Senate President Pro Tempore title is given to the most senior member of the majority caucus. Naturally, this means that nine times out of ten, the Pro Tem is very, very old, usually in their late 70s or 80s.

It wasn't always this way, but that was when the title had more weight to it. Now, it's more honorary. but that hasn't stopped the Pro Tem, constitutionally, from being third in line for the Presidency should anything happen. With that in mind, do you think it is a good system?

I don't think it is. The Pro Tem is, in theory, always three bullets or heartbeats away from the Oval Office, and I, personally, am not comfortable with the idea of having a President in their 80s. I remember hearing somewhere that Byrd, Inouye, and Hatch all recused themselves from the line of succession, but it doesn't make the thought any more sobering to me. They would still, by law, be President, even if briefly.

Thoughts?
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2018, 03:54:53 PM »

The Presidential Succession Act should be amended to replace the Senate President pro tempore with the Senate Majority Leader in the line of succession.

Would there be a bit of a snag in that every leadership position other than Pro Tem is only tradition and not in the Constitution?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies