If McCain Pulls Off A Miracle And Wins The Nomination Who Is His Best VP?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 02:54:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  If McCain Pulls Off A Miracle And Wins The Nomination Who Is His Best VP?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: If McCain Pulls Off A Miracle And Wins The Nomination Who Is His Best VP?  (Read 7585 times)
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 20, 2007, 11:28:21 PM »

If John McCain somehow pulls off an upset and wins the Republican Presidential nomination, who is his best choice for VP?

Please discuss.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2007, 12:14:24 AM »

Lieberman.

It makes him the most moderate candidate and it would definitely play well in the Northeast where he could win New Hampshire and/or Pennsylvania as a result.

That being said, I think he would end up choosing either Huckabee or a young politician from the South in order to shore up the base.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2007, 12:17:20 AM »

Huckabee or Romney.  He wouldn't do Lieberman - that's too Unity 08ish.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2007, 12:21:48 AM »

Unless McCain's running on a third party ticket, Lieberman makes no sense as a VP.  McCain already has enough problems with his own party.  No need to antagonize them further by picking a VP who disagrees with them on so many domestic issues.  He should try to reach out to swing voters, sure, but that doesn't preclude picking someone who'd be at least minimally acceptable to most Republicans.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2007, 02:41:14 AM »

Unless McCain's running on a third party ticket, Lieberman makes no sense as a VP.  McCain already has enough problems with his own party.  No need to antagonize them further by picking a VP who disagrees with them on so many domestic issues.  He should try to reach out to swing voters, sure, but that doesn't preclude picking someone who'd be at least minimally acceptable to most Republicans.

I'd say Duncan Hunter - but he's from the West.  I'd say Romney, but I just don't see that happening.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2007, 02:50:19 AM »

Huckabee
Sanford
Pawlenty
Huntsman?
Rounds?
Perdue?

Just off the top of my head
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2007, 03:01:43 AM »

Picking Lieberman would alienate independents and Republicans. McCain would lose in a landslide.

Depending on how he wins, he'd either need to pick someone from the Evangelical wing of the party (Huckabee) if the primary was particularly nasty, or a moderate Republican from a swing-state (Tommy Thompson, Tim Pawlenty, Tom Ridge, etc.).
agcatter
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2007, 10:59:58 AM »

Well, it wouldn't be a southerner.  McCain runs much stronger in the South than any other southern candidate.  He needs help in the midwest, that will be the battleground area.  The main thing is to get someone who won't hurt.  VPs are overrated as far as what they can do for a ticket.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2007, 03:38:05 PM »

Pawlenty was one of the first for McCain, right?
gorkay

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2007, 04:09:41 PM »

The ideal running mate for him would be someone from one of the big northeastern or midwestern states who is acceptable to the conservatives. I'm not sure such a person exists, though.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2007, 04:45:00 PM »

This is something I actually agree with BRTD on; Pawlenty would be next-to-no help as the running mate for the eventual GOP nominee.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2007, 07:35:18 PM »

If I were him, I'd pick Utah Gov. Jon Huntsman, Jr, forty-four years old, and has a famous family name (at least in his state).  If a Mormon cannot win the presidency outright, then it might help to get the country accustomed to seeing a Mormon as VP before they let go their inhibitions about having a Mormon as President of the United States.  Plus, he's a bit of a maverick.  Given high economic growth in his state, he was able to produce the largest tax cuts and education funding increases in the state's history (as well as reforming his state's tax code), and has spoken about the importance of protecting the environment and favors providing health insurance to all Utah residents.  I don't know what his position on illegal immigration is, though. 

Oh, and he could appeal to younger crowds given the fact that he is a fan of progressive rock, and attended a Dream Theater concert. 
agcatter
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2007, 10:35:20 PM »

Gorkay nailed it and I agree.  Such a person probably does not exist.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2007, 08:52:28 AM »

If I were him, I'd pick Utah Gov. Jon Huntsman, Jr, forty-four years old, and has a famous family name (at least in his state).

If the Huntsmans are only known in Utah, then why would name recognition be relevant here?  None of the Republicans need any help to win Utah.

If a Mormon cannot win the presidency outright, then it might help to get the country accustomed to seeing a Mormon as VP before they let go their inhibitions about having a Mormon as President of the United States.

Why would McCain care about any of that?
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2007, 12:16:57 PM »
« Edited: December 22, 2007, 12:20:39 PM by Supersoulty »

Let me think about this.  I would say the primary consideration would have to be someone who is generally seen as likable, competent and ready to take over, otherwise, McCain would have a big problem justifying his run for President at his age and heath.

His choice for VP will likely be the most important in history and the most scrutinized by the media.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2007, 03:25:32 PM »

Let me think about this.  I would say the primary consideration would have to be someone who is generally seen as likable, competent and ready to take over, otherwise, McCain would have a big problem justifying his run for President at his age and heath.

His choice for VP will likely be the most important in history and the most scrutinized by the media.

Yep.  McCain, although he isn't well-liked by all Republicans, isn't really hated by any large segment, either.  It'd be nice to have someone who can appeal to the evangelicals, or, perhaps more importantly, someone with a harder stance on immigration.
Thankfully, McCain has got the foreign policy covered, so he doesn't need that angle, either.

But the top priority has to be 'this guy would make a good President.'  He needs to pick someone quite a bit younger than him, but not too young (no Dan Quayles).  Ideally, someone in their 50's.

Pawlenty is the obvious (and probably likely choice), but at 47 he may be a bit too young.
Sanford, another good choice, is still a bit too young, at 4 months older than Pawlenty.  But he doesn't look as baby-faced as Pawlenty.
Barbour seems a bit too corrupt, and doesn't look healthy.
Huckabee is a definite possibility if it becomes a McCain v. Huckabee race on Super Tuesday, and especially if the race goes beyond Feb. 5.

The picks among Senators are pretty slim...
Judd Gregg is an outside possiblity.
If it weren't for the fact that nobody at all knows who he is, Richard Burr might work.  He's also endorsed McCain, which is a plus.
Kay Bailey Hutchison would be a good possibility if Hillary is nominated.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2007, 03:29:38 PM »

Oh, and he could appeal to younger crowds given the fact that he is a fan of progressive rock, and attended a Dream Theater concert. 

Yeah that's exactly what most young people listen to.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2007, 03:33:14 PM »

This is something I actually agree with BRTD on; Pawlenty would be next-to-no help as the running mate for the eventual GOP nominee.

Good for you. Republicans need to realize that too. Most seem to have moved past the delusion that Pawlenty would win Minnesota for the ticket but still buy into the stupid idea of a "neighboring state" advantage and that he'd help in Wisconsin and Iowa (as if most people Wisconsin and Iowa both know who Pawlenty and actually care about him)

If I were him, I'd pick Utah Gov. Jon Huntsman, Jr, forty-four years old, and has a famous family name (at least in his state).

If the Huntsmans are only known in Utah, then why would name recognition be relevant here?  None of the Republicans need any help to win Utah.

If a Mormon cannot win the presidency outright, then it might help to get the country accustomed to seeing a Mormon as VP before they let go their inhibitions about having a Mormon as President of the United States.

Why would McCain care about any of that?

Also true.
reformer
Rookie

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2007, 09:45:13 PM »

Hunstsman is also a huge champion of vouchers, which really devides the party, and before being governor his only credential was having the wealthiest man in Utah as a father.

That being said, he has turned out to be an excellent governor in a state where Republicans can get a little over the top. He would be an excellent replacement for Senator Hatch.
auburntiger
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.61, S: 0.65

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2007, 10:23:53 PM »

What about Tom Ridge or Kit Bond?
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2007, 11:27:15 PM »

Ridge would be a great choice except for the fact he is not from the conservative wing of the party and maverick McCain with Ridge would be a tough sell to this vital element in the GOP and would be a tough job in convincing this element of the party he has their best interests at heart.

Bond another good choice as far as it goes, but age is against him.  McCain at his age needs someone on the younger side of the spectrum.   
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2007, 11:34:51 PM »

John Kasich
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2007, 02:53:01 PM »
« Edited: December 23, 2007, 02:56:12 PM by Angry Weasel »

Needs

*High Name Recognition
*45-60 in Age
*From the East or Midwest (You will win the west, but lose the Midwest) (The south would sound too scary)
* Immigration Hawk
* Religion Hawk
* Not a Senator in a dangerous year for the GOP
* Little Baggage

Some Ideas (in order of probability)
Mike Hickabee
Frmr Gov. Tom Tom
Sen.Dick Lugar (for a state that is all conservative)
Gov.Donald Carcieri 
Stephen Laffey
Michael Steele

It would probably be Tommy Thompson.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2007, 03:03:30 PM »

Why?  What difference does name recognition make?  Once the person is picked to be his running mate, they would instantly get high name recognition.  They don't need name recognition coming in.
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2007, 03:05:43 PM »

Tim Pawlenty
Mitt Romney
Gordon Smith
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »