In 'wrongful life' suit, disabled woman blames doctor for letting her be born (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 09:17:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  In 'wrongful life' suit, disabled woman blames doctor for letting her be born (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: In 'wrongful life' suit, disabled woman blames doctor for letting her be born  (Read 869 times)
J-Mann
United States

« on: November 16, 2005, 05:25:24 PM »
« edited: November 16, 2005, 05:27:42 PM by J-Mann »

Remember when Helen Keller turned her enormous disadvantages into strengths? I have to wonder if she would reconsider her life had she been given a legal option like this Australian woman.

A blind and deaf Australian woman who claims she never should have been born is suing a doctor for a lifetime of suffering in the country's first "wrongful life" suit.

Alexia Harriton, 24, is seeking compensation from the doctor who misdiagnosed rubella in the first trimester of her mother's pregnancy, claiming Olga Harriton would have aborted her had she been aware of the potential birth defects arising from the illness.

Granted, the woman is mentally disabled, but the suit is filed under her name at the behest of her mother and lawyers.  It's quite a shame that her mother can look at her and say, "I would have aborted that."
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2005, 10:49:48 PM »

Can I just say that whilst is was always going to happen somewhere, sometime, i'm just ashamed it's in Australia?

Can I just say that while this was always going to happen somewhere, sometime, I'm just ashamed they're human beings?

Bingo.  I just don't understand people like that.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2005, 08:40:59 AM »
« Edited: November 17, 2005, 09:38:46 AM by J-Mann »

Can I just say that whilst is was always going to happen somewhere, sometime, i'm just ashamed it's in Australia?

Can I just say that while this was always going to happen somewhere, sometime, I'm just ashamed they're human beings?

No, I'm sorry, but you can't.

Ass.  Let him say it.  LET HIM SAY IT!
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies