Do all musicians you listen to have the same political views as you? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 01:23:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Do all musicians you listen to have the same political views as you? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Do all musicians you listen to have the same political views as you?
Yes

No

No, in fact most have the opposite

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 66

Author Topic: Do all musicians you listen to have the same political views as you?  (Read 4855 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« on: March 26, 2015, 12:12:07 PM »

BRTD, part of developing a mature and well-rounded ideology, or mature and well-rounded opinions in general, is recognizing not only that other people's views differ from yours, but recognizing why they differ from yours, so that, if you continue to reject them, you do so from a position of good faith and mutual understanding. One way of doing this is by consuming media produced by people with different perspectives on the world. I read Dostoyevsky not because I'm a nineteenth-century Slavophile but (among other reasons) because I'm interested in how nineteenth-century Slavophilia operated. Flannery O'Connor wasn't great on race (although she wasn't as terrible as the title of 'The Artificial [redacted]' would imply out of context), but she's my favorite American writer because her attitudes are revelatory about Christianity, mental and physical illness, and modern American life in general--Wise Blood in particular is weirdly similar to Update in some respects. And so on and so forth.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 04:46:27 PM »

I know I already made this point more extensively in an earlier post in this thread, but nobody seems to have cared about it, so I'll condense it to a sound bite: Cultivating a confirmation bias on purpose is really, really unseemly and absolutely pointlessly limiting.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies