The Present Israel-Palestine Conflict Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 02:38:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  The Present Israel-Palestine Conflict Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Present Israel-Palestine Conflict Thread  (Read 67047 times)
Hnv1
YaBB God

« on: July 20, 2014, 05:31:25 AM »

Something really bad happend tonight in Sajeya. From the rumours circulating- 10 soldiers died, tens to a hundred+ Palestinians died, heavy shelling of the neighbourhood (which is not a good sign).

Yesterday I was in a demo in Haifa of the left calling for a ceasefire, mass amounts of extreme right wingers came busted the demo and continued to raise hell and violence for hours.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 06:42:08 PM »

There has been an "undeclared" ceasefire agreed upon while talks continue.

Hamas has agreed to let the idea of a seaport go in the truce talks if they can get the PA to monitor the border with Egypt.  Not sure why they think that would be any better, as neither PA nor Egypt desires a re-armed Hamas and pals.  Might be easier to bribe a PA border guard than it would one that was a member of the IDF or the Egyptian Army I guess.

Also, if their (Hamas) demands are not met by Sunday they are going to attack Tel Aviv.  Whatever that means.

Are you so ideological blinded, that you don't get that the major reason that Hamas want the blockade to end, is to be able to develop Gaza, right now the import of cement are limited by Israel at a point, where they need not only to rebuild after the Israel bombing and bombardment of them, but they also need to deal with growing population. Beside that Gaza suffer from chronic lack of energy, which mean that they suffer from daily power outs, and an end to the blockade would also mean that Gazans could work abroad, which would bring much needed capital into Gaza. also at last and not least it would allow Gaza to develop Gaza commercial.
If only that were true.  Hamas has spent many MILLIONS of dollars, using child slave labor, to build tunnels to murder civilians.  If they wanted to improve Gaza they could use that money to make things better instead of trying to murder.  The concrete they do get in doesn't go into fixing sh**t, no it, like their children, go into the tunnels.  I can't understand how ideologically blind a person must be to ignore the evidence.

If Gaza grows up and stops the violence and Israel maintains the blockade, I'll be next to you at the rallies against them.
So far no evidence that any of the tunnels where aimed at civilian villages but rather for army outposts.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 06:21:54 AM »

Best solution in my eyes:
-recognizing the unity government allowing the PA to return to Gaza and have an election.
- lifting the siege and opening the Egyptian border with international monitoring.
- consolidating all Palestinian militias under the PA
- Recovery programme for Gaza (mainly) and the West Bank
- 10 years "truce" in which permanent negotiations will take place in the "onion" method - a series of agreement to get us to the two state solution but in a gradual way
- building the connecting road between the West Bank and Gaza and easing the move of commodities and individuals
- recognition by the Arab League of Israel, and their support in implementing all future agreements.
- development of the Gaza marine gas fields so they can pump some hard currency into their economy (or actually starting to build one).
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 01:57:29 PM »

Best solution in my eyes:
-recognizing the unity government allowing the PA to return to Gaza and have an election.
- lifting the siege and opening the Egyptian border with international monitoring.
- consolidating all Palestinian militias under the PA
- Recovery programme for Gaza (mainly) and the West Bank
- 10 years "truce" in which permanent negotiations will take place in the "onion" method - a series of agreement to get us to the two state solution but in a gradual way
- building the connecting road between the West Bank and Gaza and easing the move of commodities and individuals
- recognition by the Arab League of Israel, and their support in implementing all future agreements.
- development of the Gaza marine gas fields so they can pump some hard currency into their economy (or actually starting to build one).

You forgot one very important requirement for there to be any potential progress towards a lasting peace.  A complete and total halt to all building of Jewish settlements (including plans to build additional homes within existing settlements) beyond the 1967 borders. (Or at least beyond any area that has been agreed to by both sides will be part of Israel following a final peace.) Otherwise, it looks like something that simply gives Israel more time to build more facts on the ground to dispossess the Palestinians of more of the West Bank and thus has zero chance of being acceptable to the Palestinians.
Sorry it was pretty obvious to me. Yes the first of the agreement should deal with borders and define them.

Regarding the demilitarization, it was actually a Palestinian back idea (back in the days of camp david) in order to avoid the plague of military coups that rid the Arab world.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 01:53:01 PM »

The big news today is that following the Israeli assassination of three senior Hamas military officials, Hamas have lynched twenty one alleged informers.
Generally Israeli military law allows capital punishment at times of war with light of severe treason. I guess if 3 IDF generals would have been assassinated with their families thanks due treason at time of intense war and siege we might see executions too.

This is seriously turning into a circus, I'm not sure if there's anyone in the government who even knows what we want here.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2014, 02:24:22 PM »

Good things they don't launch missiles but rather rockets...
Not to take a stand at the humanity of each side right now I think standing international law regarding wars is completely unfit to judge situations like these. Coded law designed to alleviate causalities in state-to-state wars is not fit to address a complicated situation like these. Warfare is sprinting ahead of law.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies