Richard Dawkins loses ‘humanist of the year’ title over trans comments (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 08:37:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Richard Dawkins loses ‘humanist of the year’ title over trans comments (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Richard Dawkins loses ‘humanist of the year’ title over trans comments  (Read 1717 times)
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« on: April 20, 2021, 10:39:42 PM »

Well, race has no basis in biology and gender does, but I get where he's coming from. You can tell a male skeleton from a female skeleton almost instantaneously but it takes all kinds of tests and stuff to determine the race.
This is by no means a large consensus view among anthropologists - George W. Gill, probably the second or third leading expert on skeletal analysis, maintains that race is not merely a social construct.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/first/gill.html
https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/first/brace.html

IIRC, Gill maintains that there are multiple singular methodologies which yield a 80-95% correct result in race, while those on sex yield a 90-95% correct result.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2021, 11:06:35 PM »

As others have noted in this thread, and as I've noted many times on this site, feminists spent decades saying gender was a completely made up social construct and there were no intrinsic non physical differences between men and women. Anyone who disagreed was a sexist bigot. Now they are saying gender is an innate part of people's identities and if you disagree and take the same position they had about five years ago then you're still a bigot. Understandably there's some confusion here.

It's even more confusing when they continue to use the "OMGEE, GENDER ISN'T REAL" rhetoric in every other context besides trans issues and insist there are no differences between men and women, unless you're a transman/woman, in which case your gender is the defining tenet of who you are.

Feminist "theory" has been pretty incoherent for a long time, but geez, this might be a new low.

Um sweetie, why does everything have to make sense and be logical to you? Are you still hung up on the outdated idea that words have to have objective meaning? Is a little cognitive dissonance really that big a price to pay for supporting trans youth? That's a yikes from me my dude; I'm literally shaking rn.

These are all decent points, but none of them really address the thread title.

Dawkins is the Jungian archetype of an Arrogant Twitter Academic. Other examples include Nassim Taleb, Debra Soh, and Gad Saad. Such people may be talented in their own fields, but they are so overwhelmed by those who love them that they tweet out stuff which is just plainly nonsense. See Dawkins “apology” tweet which may be the worst argument in human history.

“I would never agree with Republicans!”
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies