America's Safest and Most Dangerous Cities (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 12:37:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  America's Safest and Most Dangerous Cities (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: America's Safest and Most Dangerous Cities  (Read 9642 times)
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« on: November 22, 2005, 12:00:29 AM »

http://www.morganquitno.com/xcit06pop.htm

OVERALL: (369 cities)

SAFEST 25:
1. Newton, MA
2. Clarkstown, NY
3. Amherst, NY
4. Mission Viejo, CA
5. Brick Twnshp, NJ
6. Troy, MI
7. Thousand Oaks, CA
8. Round Rock, TX
9. Lake Forest, CA
10. Cary, NC
11. Colonie, NY
12. Fargo, ND
13. Irvine, CA
14. Orem, UT
15. Dover Twnshp, NJ
16. Warwick, RI
17. Sunnyvale, CA
18. Hamilton Twnshp, NJ
19. Parma, OH
20. Canton Twnshp, MI
21. Greece, NY
22. Simi Valley, CA
23. Coral Springs, FL
24. Port St. Lucie, FL
25. Centennial, CO

MOST DANGEROUS 25:
1. Camden, NJ
2. Detroit, MI
3. St. Louis, MO
4. Flint, MI
5. Richmond, VA
6. Baltimore, MD
7. Atlanta, GA
8. New Orleans, LA
9. Gary, IN
10. Birmingham, AL
11. Richmond, CA
12. Cleveland, OH
13. Washington, DC
14. West Palm Beach, FL
15. Compton, CA
16. Memphis, TN
17. Dayton, OH
18. San Bernardino, CA
19. Springfield, MA
20. Cincinnati, OH
21. Oakland, CA
22. Dallas, TX
23. Newark, NJ
24. Hartford, CT
25. Little Rock, AR

CITIES OVER 500,000 POPULATION (32 cities)

SAFEST 10:

1. San Jose, CA
2. El Paso, TX
3. Honolulu, HI
4. New York, NY
5. Austin, TX
6. San Diego, CA
7. Louisville, KY
8. San Antonio, TX
9. Fort Worth, TX
10. Jacksonville, FL

MOST DANGEROUS 10:

1. Detroit, MI
2. Baltimore, MD
3. Washington, DC
4. Memphis, TN
5. Dallas, TX
6. Philadelphia, PA
7. Columbus, OH
8. Nashville, TN
9. Houston, TX
10. Charlotte, NC
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2005, 09:13:02 PM »

Actually, the most interesting numbers that I find are in Texas, among cities with 500,000+.

I note that the only cities in Texas with a significant urban black population are Dallas and Houston and those are the ones at the higher end of the crime range.

However, cities like El Paso and San Antonio, with significant urban Hispanic population, but few blacks, are among the safest big cities in the county.

Moral of the story:  As I have said countless times before, Hispanics in Texas are law and order types and socially conservative.  And this applies to an extent to most other areas in the Southwest and even California (notice LA is not on the list either).

Those who are political watchers should keep in mind what I am saying for the future prospects of both political parties who wish to attract the growing Hispanic population.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2005, 11:13:23 PM »

Actually, the most interesting numbers that I find are in Texas, among cities with 500,000+.

I note that the only cities in Texas with a significant urban black population are Dallas and Houston and those are the ones at the higher end of the crime range.

However, cities like El Paso and San Antonio, with significant urban Hispanic population, but few blacks, are among the safest big cities in the county.

Moral of the story:  As I have said countless times before, Hispanics in Texas are law and order types and socially conservative.  And this applies to an extent to most other areas in the Southwest and even California (notice LA is not on the list either).

Those who are political watchers should keep in mind what I am saying for the future prospects of both political parties who wish to attract the growing Hispanic population.

Some time ago I was able to find comparable data for homicide rates and % of hispanics in the population for cities over 100,000 people. That makes it fairly easy to cross plot the data and get a graph of homicide rates vs % of hispanics. The data strongly suggests that the murder rate goes down as the percentage of hispanics goes up. I was pleasantly surprised by that result. For non-hispanic whites the trend is the same, but for blacks the murder rate goes up as the percentage of blacks in the population goes up. I don't know how to show the graphs in this forum but I can e-mail the spreadsheets with the graphs if anyone is interested. Its in the Works spreadsheet format.

Sounds extremely interesting.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies