Mass Protests in Cuba
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 04:03:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Mass Protests in Cuba
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7
Author Topic: Mass Protests in Cuba  (Read 6942 times)
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: July 17, 2021, 10:06:50 AM »

Bold to assume that Young Labour won't become part of the party elite in ten years.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #126 on: July 17, 2021, 10:19:03 AM »

No, what Young Labour actually shows is how much the party's youth section has been a factional bin fire since basically time immemorial Wink

Which is why it should be abolished as all it does is train people who genuinely don't know any better (how the hell do you at that age?) in the worst patterns of behaviour. There's something deeply horrifying about seeing people half my age engage in vicious bullying over internal THIGMOO drama that happened before I was born...
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #127 on: July 17, 2021, 12:03:44 PM »

Young Labour.s shows again to the electorate how much the voters made the right choice.
Yes by rejecting Starmer.
(no subject)
Jolly Slugg
Australia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #128 on: July 17, 2021, 12:49:40 PM »

Dear person who falsely talked about apartheid in this thread.

One major Israeli response to Arafat second intifada suicide bombing campaign was preventive: the construction of the security barrier separating Israelis and Palestinians and the imposition of a much more severe separation regime in the West Bank. These tactics successfully choked off the access routes to Israeli cities and saved many Israeli (and Palestinian) lives. Those who now orate about "Israeli apartheid" should recall why this situation came about.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #129 on: July 17, 2021, 02:36:18 PM »

Only took 6 pages for the Cuba protests thread to become about internal Labour Party politics and Israel-Palestine 😂
(no subject)
Jolly Slugg
Australia

« Reply #130 on: July 17, 2021, 03:14:54 PM »

Muhammad only turned his cult into a new religion after the Jewish leadership in Mecca rejected his claim to be a prophet. An article in The Times of London at the time of the ISIS crisis said that given what would happen in later centuries, maybe they should have accepted him…
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #131 on: July 18, 2021, 12:26:29 PM »

Good article from a podcaster I listen to:

https://thinkabouthistory.medium.com/thoughts-on-the-cuban-protests-c79051dd90a4
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #132 on: July 19, 2021, 08:14:27 PM »

Muhammad only turned his cult into a new religion after the Jewish leadership in Mecca rejected his claim to be a prophet. An article in The Times of London at the time of the ISIS crisis said that given what would happen in later centuries, maybe they should have accepted him…

Not many Jews or Muslims in Cuba, is the thing about bringing this up in this thread.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #133 on: July 20, 2021, 03:25:49 AM »

Kinda balanced and insightful, thanks for sharing. This quote about Cuban migrants in Florida and the failure of the embargo made me think a liitle

What is a matter of fact is that the Cuban embargo has failed. The Helms-Burton sanctions from the 90s have failed. It is an objective fact that it has not fulfilled its goal, and it has only exacerbated misery and provided the Cuban government an excuse. The only reason the embargo is still on the books is because of a series of coincidences within the American electoral process. It happens we have an electoral college, it happens Florida became a swing state after the Cold War, and it happens that recent national elections have been decided by narrow margins. If Cubans had decided to settle in California, like the South Vietnamese did after their loss, this would be a dead issue. Same if they had settled in a deeply red state. But they came to Florida, and they have plenty of reasons to hate the island.
Cubans in Florida are mainly economic migrants. But it’s harder to find a government that treats it’s foreign population (you cannot renounce Cuban citizenship) with more disrespect than Cuba- where they are called “gusanos” (worms) and traitors. The Cuban government functions with the knowledge that emigres send money back to their friends and family. From their so-called treasonous population, the regime extracts everything it can. Remittances in 2012 brought in more money than the export of sugar, nickel, medications and the tourism sector combined. The regime’s hypocrisy is why you see Cuban-Americans support the embargo despite it being a complete failure. It’s also why right now, as Cuba is on the brink of a humanitarian crisis, Cubans abroad want to keep the American boot firmly on the island’s throat. Because it’s personal to them,political second, and it’s always a potent cocktail when you can find a political home for a justified hatred.
This is why there is no reasoning with the Cuban-American community, because it is a politics of grievance, insult, and revenge. It’s an enclave full of inconsistencies of belief. The belief that the Cuban government should fall by violent protest vs. not wanting their younger relatives to participate in said demonstrations and stay safe (...)  

Revenge is not a good basis to build the future

Conservatopia
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 0.72, S: 8.60

« Reply #134 on: July 20, 2021, 03:26:52 AM »

Not many Jews or Muslims in Cuba, is the thing about bringing this up in this thread.

Doesn't matter.  No matter where you live you still have to condemn the Grand Mufti.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #135 on: July 20, 2021, 07:29:23 AM »

Some people have one track minds.
(no subject)
Jolly Slugg
Australia

« Reply #136 on: July 20, 2021, 11:03:50 AM »

Some people would do well to become a decent person and not taint the memory of people such as Leon Klinghoffer by uncritically swallowing “Nakba” propaganda.
Flyersfan232

« Reply #137 on: July 22, 2021, 05:29:13 PM »

Kingdom of Cuba with the carlist  line Tongue
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #138 on: July 22, 2021, 05:39:57 PM »

Some people would do well to become a decent person and not taint the memory of people such as Leon Klinghoffer by uncritically swallowing “Nakba” propaganda.

I'm mixed to tepidly pro-Israel on ~The Conflict~. That's not the issue. The issue is it's simply not relevant to this thread.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #139 on: July 22, 2021, 05:53:48 PM »

I'm mixed to tepidly pro-Israel on ~The Conflict~. That's not the issue. The issue is it's simply not relevant to this thread.

Some people has one track minds, other is denialist and turns a blind eye. Apartheid Israel is everywhere poisoning discussions in this forum, it seems. Shame on you. Mr Natphali Bennett is a rashist scum and makes me feel sick. But here the topic is Cuba and the Cubans, not the apartheid state and its victims
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #140 on: July 22, 2021, 06:43:37 PM »

Some people has one track minds, other is denialist and turns a blind eye. Apartheid Israel is everywhere poisoning discussions in this forum, it seems. Shame on you. Mr Natphali Bennett is a rashist scum and makes me feel sick. But here the topic is Cuba and the Cubans, not the apartheid state and its victims

Do you not realize what my display name is in reference to or do you just not have a sense of humor? Obviously I don't actually like Naftali f**king Bennett.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #141 on: July 22, 2021, 06:58:09 PM »

Do you not realize what my display name is in reference to or do you just not have a sense of humor? Obviously I don't actually like Naftali f**king Bennett.

What about Ayelet Shaked?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #142 on: July 22, 2021, 07:19:12 PM »

What about Ayelet Shaked?

Ayelet Shaked is Naftali Bennett for people who fantasize about getting railed by dark-haired SFF villainesses, so of course I adore her and would never pretend otherwise.
(no subject)
Jolly Slugg
Australia

« Reply #143 on: July 23, 2021, 08:53:10 AM »

My final OT post will just remind that The Arabs demanded All of Mandate Palestine in 1948, threw the dice, and got None of Palestine.

Abbas in 2011 said that rejecting the Partition plan had been a mistake, but as Brian Cohen that Monty Python character said, “bit late for that now”…
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #144 on: July 23, 2021, 10:55:36 AM »

Most people wouldn't disagree, they might also think banging on about it over 70 years later is passe.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #145 on: July 25, 2021, 08:39:25 AM »
« Edited: July 25, 2021, 09:02:34 AM by Velasco »

I invite you to continue this fascinating discussion in the Israel thread.

Cuba for the Cubans

* To Nathan: I realized you were trying to imitate olawakandi. MR KAYNE WEST is MR NATPHALI BENNETT. "Nat" means "nationalist" and "phali" concerns his virility
Ⓐnarchy in the ☭☭☭P!
ModernBourbon Democrat

« Reply #146 on: July 28, 2021, 02:10:20 AM »

There's been a spate of generals dying under unknown circumstances. The less conspiratorial explanation is the COVID surge hitting the overwhelmingly elderly Cuban leadership hard (particularly if they were forced to get together to crack down on the protests) but there are, of course, plenty of other ways they could have died that would have far more significant implications.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #147 on: July 28, 2021, 02:58:08 AM »

It already happened and it resulted in the Tories winning their largest victory since 1987 and Labour suffering their worst defeat since 1935
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #148 on: July 28, 2021, 05:52:36 AM »

There's been a spate of generals dying under unknown circumstances. The less conspiratorial explanation is the COVID surge hitting the overwhelmingly elderly Cuban leadership hard (particularly if they were forced to get together to crack down on the protests) but there are, of course, plenty of other ways they could have died that would have far more significant implications.

Well, I couldn't find an age for the last guy but the other 4 were 79 to 87 and how active they were I couldn't tell.
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #149 on: July 28, 2021, 06:10:03 AM »

Well, I couldn't find an age for the last guy but the other 4 were 79 to 87 and how active they were I couldn't tell.
I mean, these are generals who knew Castro when he was young.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies