Discuss with maps!: County map requests for 2008 election results (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 12:51:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2008 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Discuss with maps!: County map requests for 2008 election results (search mode)
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Discuss with maps!: County map requests for 2008 election results  (Read 102267 times)
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2009, 09:47:21 PM »

I know about where Milk's district was, but can anyone tell me where White's was?

Southeast SF -- Visitacion Valley, Crocker-Amazon, probably Excelsior, not sure about Bayview-Hunters Point.

The area where Prop. 8 passed (although for a different reason than it would have then)
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2009, 12:10:09 AM »
« Edited: March 04, 2009, 12:12:14 AM by Alcon »

Realistic,

Where are the precinct results and the shapefile?  I can use my 1% margin coding preconfiguration file to do a Sheehan % map, which should be much more interesting maybe.

bgwah and I did some digging.  The Tenderloin and Museum of Art precincts both contain heavily African-American public housing projects.  Midtown Terrace also seems to have a good amount of public housing, although more multi-ethnic.  Chinese in San Francisco must be way socially conservative...Sunset also has a lot of 'em, although it just seems more socially traditional all-around.

In fact, looking at these patterns, the social liberalism of San Francisco (outside of Castro/Haight-Ashbury/Noe Valley/etc.) is really kind of overrated.

Here's a map worth comparing:

Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2009, 04:11:40 PM »
« Edited: March 04, 2009, 04:13:48 PM by Alcon »

That's a really cool map.  Is there a link to a methodology statement?

Here's 2004 by precinct for CA:

FairData2000

To get individual precinct results, click the Info button, click on the Precinct, and then click on the precinct number on the window that comes up.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2009, 11:11:36 PM »

Shata County's so hard for me to read without the lakes and rivers in there...looks to me like Obama did well in downtown Redding, but lost it across the bridge in poor-sprawlland.  Also seems to have taken a beating in the stretch between downtown and Anderson.

Other than that, looks like Obama won the precinct that contains either the village of Shasta (how many of those are there?) or Shasta Lake City...and then some touristy/hippie mountain stuff in the northwest.  Is that about right?

Kind of odd how he did so well in downtown Redding and took a beating in Subdivision Central.  Maybe I mis-read the map horribly.

I think the most remarkable part of Mono County is how the transplant/service vote has totally transformed Lee Vining and especially Mammoth Lakes, while totally ignoring Bridgeport -- which I thought was becoming a hip backpacking area.  I think there's also military there?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2009, 01:13:17 AM »
« Edited: March 08, 2009, 01:16:12 AM by Alcon »

Ahh, thank you!  That gels a lot better with my understanding of Redding.  Obama mostly in new subdivision-land, Clinton in old (and poorburb) old subdivision-land in East Redding, affectionately "Helltown."  Blue-collar downtown mostly Clinton, except for Brookline, the standard Nice Area.

Lake Shasta area is a bit surprisingly strong for Clinton, although admittedly I don't know who lives there, and the coloring of the westshore precinct suggests to me that these are low-vote precincts.  My guess is that's the same for the very-Obama Platina precinct in the southwest.  I forget where the topography gets farm-unfriendly, but I'm guessing Platina "proper" is pretty damn sparse.

For the record:  Redding is a horrible, terrible place.  Do not go there.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2009, 01:02:39 PM »

Haha.  In fairness, I spent like one night there, and I was miserable for Redding-unrelated reasons.  But I remember downtown being a sprawly parking lot of a place, and East Redding being a tangled mess of cul de sacs, mass-produced houses and trailer parks.  The proximity of Shasta was lost on me, and I didn't get to see the river.  There wasn't much to do there.  I couldn't ever find out where the real downtown was, if there was really one.

I was actually staying closer to this place, which I think is technically Redding proper, but does seem to be much more horrible than most of the city.

I also have two friends, one who broke down in Redding and was robbed, and another who was forced to move down there while her brainwashed mother attended Shasta Bible College, which is a lot more nefarious than it sounds.

All roads just led to bad memories in Redding, I guess Tongue
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2009, 03:47:37 PM »
« Edited: March 09, 2009, 05:56:39 PM by Alcon »

Is that southwestern Lubbock County precinct Slaton?  Huh  How weird.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2009, 09:19:56 PM »

If you find a shapefile and precinct results...
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2009, 07:21:01 PM »

I'm interested in Tompinks County, NY.

Interested enough to find a shapefile and/or precinct results?  I couldn't.  Tongue
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2009, 10:34:59 PM »

Not the Bronx -- there are actually some intensely GOP areas there.  He lost one precinct 71-29.

He lost one precinct in Manhattan, but it only had 3 votes.  The next closest was 54-45 Obama.

Other randoms: Maui, HI...Shannon, SD...Greene, AL...Hood River, OR...Sioux, ND...Menominee, WI...Crawford, WI...Door, WI (save for a 4-vote precinct)...Douglas, WI...Iowa, WI...

There's probably a ton, but we've exhausted the big ones.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2009, 02:17:51 PM »

Not the Bronx -- there are actually some intensely GOP areas there.  He lost one precinct 71-29.

He lost one precinct in Manhattan, but it only had 3 votes.  The next closest was 54-45 Obama.

Other randoms: Maui, HI...
and Hawaii HI.

I think that was already mentioned (as "Honolulu" Tongue)
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2009, 10:52:30 PM »

I don't remember if that was a dry joke or a brain fart, which probably means I was just in a transient state of elevated dumbness when I posted that Sad
Pages: 1 [2]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies