Opinion of Provisional Driver's Licenses (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 08:10:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Opinion of Provisional Driver's Licenses (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Opinion of Provisional Driver's Licenses  (Read 3506 times)
angus
Atlas Icon
« on: October 20, 2008, 07:53:22 PM »

So what do you think?  Should all driver's licenses be equal or no?

They should all be equal, and no one under 25 should be licensed to drive. 

Back when the congress noticed that drinking while driving was a big problem, they decided to take some action.  They started to apply a "highway funding formula" which basically put pressure on states to raise their drinking ages.  One by one, states started to raise their legal drinking ages.  When my brother, five years my senior, turned old enough to drink, he turned 18.  By the time I came along, the drinking age was 19.  Nowadays it's 21 in all states.  Louisiana was the last holdout, but finally raised its drinking age from 18 to 21 about ten years ago.  (The condition of its roads a testament to the fact that it held out for so long.)  In my opinion, the congress, as usual, had its head up its ass.  It wasn't the drinking age that should have been raised, but the driving age.  We give driver's licenses to folks at 16.  Or at least that's when I got mine, although I had friends who got "hardship" licenses at 15. 

Letting a teenager drive a car, but he can't buy a bottle of Wild Turkey?  That's just bizarre.  I agree that drinking while driving is a problem.  And I had my share of that problem when I was that age.  Broke a few telephone poles, and dented a few cars.  Nearly killed myself and others a few times.  I'm lucky I lived to tell about it.  But I was equally capable of wrecking a car when I was sober.  I had my share of accidents even sober as a nun at that age.  Children do stupid stuff, drunk or sober.  I realize now that the states made the wrong decision.  It wasn't the drinking age that should have been raised, but the driving age.

All licenses should be considered equal--either you can drive or you can't.  But outside the 25 to 65 bracket, folks don't need to be driving.  And, yes, there should probably be an upper limit on driving as well.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies