U.N. Passes Resolution Against Israel Settlements, U.S. Abstains (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 01:35:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  U.N. Passes Resolution Against Israel Settlements, U.S. Abstains (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: U.N. Passes Resolution Against Israel Settlements, U.S. Abstains  (Read 11363 times)
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« on: December 24, 2016, 04:01:22 AM »

Ordinary villages in which people build houses and live with their families are reprehensible, just because it's Jews living there? Antisemitism 101, and one day the world will understand the insane freakout over SETTLEMENTS is just that.

Or not. It's not as if I care much, because we will keep building until Mashiach comes anyway.

Currently, the Joint Arab List has 13 seats in the Knesset. When seeing these polls, the Israeli right wing panicked, Benjamin Netanyahu filmed a disgusting, cheap political trick stinking of racism ('The Arabs are flocking to the ballots. The liberal organizations are bringing them with buses').
If your feverish, religious dream of annexing everything comes true, how many more do you think we'll get? 20? 40? Maybe 61, and an Arabic Prime Minister to boot? Yeah.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2016, 10:36:15 AM »

Currently, the Joint Arab List has 13 seats in the Knesset. When seeing these polls, the Israeli right wing panicked, Benjamin Netanyahu filmed a disgusting, cheap political trick stinking of racism ('The Arabs are flocking to the ballots. The liberal organizations are bringing them with buses'). If your feverish, religious dream of annexing everything comes true, how many more do you think we'll get? 20? 40? Maybe 61, and an Arabic Prime Minister to boot? Yeah.
Hold up. I'm not proposing the annexation of Judea and Samaria right now. We should just keep building there, and focus on draining the swamp and ending the power of the courts instead. And even in the event that we annex it they should obviously not get voting rights on Israeli affairs. That should make people like you much more comfortable Smiley

Actually, that will make me very uncomfortable. I'd hate to see my country cease to be a democracy.
Besides, what do you mean by draining the swamp? The Likud has been in power for years. The swamp is the Likud, the Likud is the swamp.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2016, 11:43:29 AM »

Besides, what do you mean by draining the swamp? The Likud has been in power for years. The swamp is the Likud, the Likud is the swamp.
The current Likud is definitely part of the swamp, yes, and that is absolutely a problem, even if it is a different type of problem. Just like the oligarchs whose oligopoly is protected by the state (read: the Likud), causing the costs of living to be extremely high, are part of the swamp. Those are problems that need to be tackled, no doubt about it. But it is impossible with the current Likud. The party has a lot of potential to improve, but only when Bibi leaves. I do not support the current Likud.

The first swamps to be drained, therefore, are the power of the courts, the cultural elite, and the enemies within who operate through their NGOs. But that can be solved.

Sorry, but that sounds awfully like a political purge, enroute to a dictatorship, like Erdogan's Turkey.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2016, 01:13:45 PM »

Lmao @ the lefties here devaluing the A-word more and more by the minute. It's almost as worthless as "racist" nowadays. No one cares anymore. Good job, thank you!

Yeah, saying that current Israel is an appartheid is ridiculous. But if the West Bank is annexed, and the Palestinian residents aren't given full rights, that's appartheid.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2016, 10:51:49 PM »

Lmao @ the lefties here devaluing the A-word more and more by the minute. It's almost as worthless as "racist" nowadays. No one cares anymore. Good job, thank you!

Yeah, saying that current Israel is an apartheid is ridiculous. But if the West Bank is annexed, and the Palestinian residents aren't given full rights, that's apartheid.

The Palestinian Authority is already a fragmented bantustan with its residents not having full rights and with what rights they do have being subject to withdrawal at any time by the Israeli government.

But there's a major difference. Legally, they're not living in Israel, but under military rule.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2016, 11:14:07 PM »

So, I have a question, and I don't want it to be a loaded question, even though it kind of is, so feel free to answer a more constructive question if you want:

What does Israel gain from building these settlements? Even if they have every legal right to do so, just as the "Ground Zero Mosque" people did, what is the motivation which makes those building the settlements say "yes, we get that it's unpopular with the local Palestinians and Muslims, and yes, it provokes the ire of many of our neighbors, but the reason we need to build these settlements here and now is __________"?

Well, there are mostly two reasons for that- religion and ideology. Most people combine those factors, but for example, many secular immigrants from the USSR, are only ideological.
I guess you can imagine the religious reason- "this land is ours because god said so, we must build because muh promise". You'd imagime that would not be the official reason, and indeed, anyone who claims Netanyahu is nothing short of an atheist is lying to himself. But tge Jewish Home party, a major coalition party, does use it.
The ideological reason is more... Logical, I guess. Like my grandfather, who was by the way born in Soviet Russia and live most of his life there (I think that detail would interest Hnv), said- "we can't give any land back. They'll just want more, we can't trust them." There's a lot of people who, after all these times that Israel tried to negotiate a deal and the most common Palestinian response was refusal and more terror, just don't trust them anymore. They think there's no hope for an agreement, and thus, building settlements in 'our lands' is logical. They also might be fearing an agreement,  which could, in their opinion, bring a terrorist country within reach of places like Tel Aviv.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2016, 09:16:23 AM »

Yeah, saying that current Israel is an apartheid is ridiculous. But if the West Bank is annexed, and the Palestinian residents aren't given full rights, that's apartheid.

The Palestinian Authority is already a fragmented bantustan with its residents not having full rights and with what rights they do have being subject to withdrawal at any time by the Israeli government.

But there's a major difference. Legally, they're not living in Israel, but under military rule.

If you follow that opinion, the settlements are being illegally built on non-Israeli land.

Yeah. The settlements shouldn't be built. But in a future agreement, ypu can't destroy big towns or cities, so swapping of land will have to be done.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2016, 02:31:36 PM »

I don't know why people are praising Obama for this. All this shows is that he is a coward that neither has the guts to stand up for Israel nor vote in favour of the resolution.

I think abstaining is meant to show that the US is an ally of Israel, but has critique on its government's policy.
The real coward here is Benjamin Netanyahu- he's now spitting unprecedented attacks against the Obama administration, but he only has the guts because Clinton wasn't elected. He's like a little child who's coy when his parents are there, but throws tantrums whenever they're not there.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2016, 03:46:09 PM »

The real coward here is Barack Obama- he's now spitting unprecedented attacks against the Netanyahu administration, but he only has the guts because Clinton wasn't elected. He's like a little child who's coy when his parents are there, but throws tantrums whenever they're not there.
ftfy

AW and Mencken get it.

I don't like Netanyahu, but every Jew who chooses to criticize Netanyahu instead of Obama right now has their priorities -- and probably actually more than that: their values -- profoundly messed up.

How can I not criticize Netanyahu's awful and incompetent foreign policy? Not even talking about the actual actions, like spitting in Obama's face and going to a speech in Congress while there's an election season at home- he never appointed a foreign relations minister, and his ambassador in the UN is laughably incompetent and was only sent there because he was a political problem for Netanyahu,
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2016, 12:43:05 AM »

And Israel lobbied the other way. Those countries made their decisions.
Just like the U.S. made its decision for Donald Trump, who will be amazing for Israel. Thank you & enjoy the next eight years!

Next summer I'll be building houses in the newest, freshest outposts again anyway, probably with the support of the U.S. administration. Cry moar, Obama!

Don't be so sure he'll look at it the same way when he actually takes office. Remember, George Bush opposed tge settlements. His father and Ronald Reagan fiercely opposed the settlements. Trump is unpredictable- you can't be entirely sure  what he'll do.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2016, 01:39:25 PM »

In the last week, following that resolution, our Prime Minister went completely mad, severely damaging Israeli relations with nations such as New Zealand, Russia, Ukraine, Britain and of course, the Unites States. He seems to be mimicking Trump, mocking the President of the United States on Facebook, but he's not the leader of a world power, he leads a small country dependant on exports. Also, as you can see, he's vigorously kissing a certain body part of the President-Elect.
Whatever ounce of respect I had left for him, it's gone now.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies