Overiding the Veto on the Atlasian Worker Defense Bill (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 04:56:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Overiding the Veto on the Atlasian Worker Defense Bill (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Overiding the Veto on the Atlasian Worker Defense Bill  (Read 4455 times)
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« on: January 15, 2005, 01:38:12 AM »

Eh... I still don't know; there are way too many arguments on either side, both of which seem to have merit.

Abstain.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2005, 02:55:58 AM »

Well, I've done more research still, and stuff like this, while from an openly conservative site, has raised doubts in me regarding the merits of revoking NAFTA at this point in time.  While I still don't really know for sure, I tend to like to keep the status quo unless I'm reasonably sure that what we're doing is a good idea.  I also agree with the qualms that others have had that a complete withdrawal from NAFTA would probably not go over well with Mexico and Canada, even if this is a good idea.

Because of this, I'd like to change my vote to "nay".

I realize that this puts me square in the John Kerry seat, but, eh, what can I say?
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2005, 03:49:45 AM »
« Edited: January 15, 2005, 03:51:40 AM by Senator Gabu »

Because of this, I'd like to change my vote to "nay".

IIRC you can't do that

Why not?
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2005, 04:10:08 AM »

if voting is still open, then you change change from abstain to aye/any-iirc, I set a precedent for that when we were voting on new regional maps.

Maybe there are some new senate rules, but if not the precedent is that it is allowable.

I was actually just attempting to find a topic in which I recall you changed your vote from abstain to aye just to pass the bill, because I could have sworn that it happened before.  Maybe it was that one; I can't remember.

At any rate, I personally think that you should be able to be able to change your vote during the time that voting is still open, but that's just me.  I can see your point.  I'll go with whatever the PPT says.

Geez, right now i' violating my own proposal Cheesy

Now you see why I didn't want to have it enacted. Wink
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2005, 04:13:09 AM »

well, in my proposal Al wouldn't be yelling at you either so there would be no need for me to butt in Smiley

But that would make things so boring. Smiley
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2005, 05:21:32 PM »

Upon further consideration, while I don't think NAFTA is a panacea nor perfect, this bill goes a bit too far. I change my vote to nay, for much the same reasons as Senator Gabu. I would like to see changes in NAFTA, but not through an outright pullout.

How can it go too far? The only possible courses of action are staying, with all the problems inherent to it, or pulling out.

Can't we attempt to fix it?  I think that that course of action would be a lot more agreeable to Canada and Mexico than to just suddenly and unilaterally drop it.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2005, 05:29:24 PM »

Upon further consideration, while I don't think NAFTA is a panacea nor perfect, this bill goes a bit too far. I change my vote to nay, for much the same reasons as Senator Gabu. I would like to see changes in NAFTA, but not through an outright pullout.

How can it go too far? The only possible courses of action are staying, with all the problems inherent to it, or pulling out.

Can't we attempt to fix it?  I think that that course of action would be a lot more agreeable to Canada and Mexico than to just suddenly and unilaterally drop it.

We are waiting six months(of game time) to pull out, and we are negotiating a trade agreement with canada. What do you want more?

But NAFTA is already a trade agreement with Canada (and Mexico, and I support one with Mexico as well); I'm not sure why we need to completely scrap this one to just make another one.

Also, why are we negotiating a trade agreement with Canada before we even knew whether or not this would pass?  Who's doing the negotiating if PBrunsel doesn't support this bill?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies