żOpinion of a HusseinCare Mandate Opt-Out w/o Easy Return?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 04:00:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  żOpinion of a HusseinCare Mandate Opt-Out w/o Easy Return?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?See belowż
I would support this modification

I would oppose this modification

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 4

Author Topic: żOpinion of a HusseinCare Mandate Opt-Out w/o Easy Return?  (Read 560 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 24, 2010, 08:03:12 AM »
« edited: March 24, 2010, 08:48:13 AM by Lunar »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Here's a link for more information:
http://www.prospect.org/cs/articles?article=averting_a_health_care_backlash

As I've said many times before, the mandate is really linked really strongly to some of the most popular elements of the bill, as I keep repeating, the preexisting conditions coverage, which most Republicans don't publicly oppose.   If you get rid of the mandate, you could destroy the entire system by allowing people to leave and reenter insurance depending on when they are sick and healthy, and encouraging the sickest people to enter the pool and drive up prices and encouraging the healthiest people to leave, resulting in the pool getting sicker and sicker.

I will post the article in the next post (And since I have no idea what I'm talking about, it's just as good)

HusseinCare is a hilarious term I stole from Mikado.  
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 08:55:42 AM »

http://www.prospect.org/cs/articles?article=averting_a_health_care_backlash

A Senate staffer passes out paperwork prior to a health care news conference. (AP Photo/Harry Hamburg)

No provision of the health-care reforms being debated in Congress is as likely to generate a popular backlash as is the individual mandate -- the requirement that individuals purchase health insurance if they are not otherwise covered. But there is an alternative to the mandate as it is currently structured that can accomplish the same purpose without raising as much opposition.

The bills in Congress would impose a fine on people who decline to buy coverage after the system is reformed, unless they have a religious objection to medical care or demonstrate that paying for insurance would be a financial hardship even with the new subsidies being provided. Under the Senate bill, the fines per person would begin at $95 in 2014, rising to $750 two years later. The House bill sets the penalty at 2.5 percent of adjusted income above the threshold for filing income taxes, up to the cost of the average national premium.

The trouble with the fines is that they communicate the wrong message about a program that is supposed to help people without insurance, not penalize them. Many people simply do not understand why the government should fine them for failing to purchase health coverage when it doesn't require people to buy other products.

The rationale for the mandate is that it is necessary to carry out the other reforms of insurance that the public overwhelmingly approves -- in particular, ending pre-existing-condition exclusions by insurance companies. If legislation banned those exclusions without a mandate, healthy people would rationally refuse to buy coverage until they got sick, and the entire insurance system would break down. The mandate is designed to deter people from opportunistically dipping into the insurance funds when they are sick and refusing to contribute when they are healthy.

But Congress could address this problem more directly. The law could give people a right to opt out of the mandate if they signed a form agreeing that they could not opt in for the following five years. In other words, instead of paying a fine, they would forgo a potential benefit. For five years they would become ineligible for federal subsidies for health insurance and, if they did buy coverage, no insurer would have to cover a pre-existing condition of theirs.

The idea for this opt-out comes from an analogous provision in Germany, which has a small sector of private insurance in addition to a much larger state insurance system. Only some Germans are eligible to opt for private insurance, but if they make that choice, the law prevents them from getting back at will into the public system. That deters opportunistic switches in and out of the public funds, and it helps to prevent the private insurers from cherry-picking healthy people and driving up insurance costs in the public sector.

In the United States, an opt-out would not apply to anyone whose income was close enough to the poverty level to qualify for Medicaid. It would be available on a new income-tax form on which people with incomes above that threshold could choose between paying a fine for failing to insure or taking the five-year opt-out. (Taking the opt-out would not affect eligibility for veterans' health care, Medicare, emergency care, or any program entirely funded by a state or out of charitable donations.)

What would happen if after opting out, people got sick and couldn't pay their bills? In that case, by their own choice, they'd be back in the world that exists today. They could still try to buy insurance without a subsidy; they just wouldn't be guaranteed any insurer would take them.

The law ought to treat children, however, differently from adults. Just as there is a public interest in assuring that children receive an education, so there is a public interest in seeing that children receive health care. Instead of providing a five-year opt-out for children or imposing a fine on their parents for failing to cover them, a default program should cover any child who isn't otherwise registered for private or public insurance. That default program could be the State Children's Health Insurance Program or Medicaid; whether the parents owe any money for that coverage should be dealt with as part of the income tax.

These two measures -- a conditional opt-out for adults and default coverage for children -- could move the legislation away from an emphasis on fines as a means of enforcement and help avert a backlash. Many liberals have thought that a backlash is avoidable if subsidies for coverage are generous enough so as to allay any fears among those affected by the mandate. But whatever subsidies the law calls for, it is unrealistic to suppose that in the years before the mandate kicks in, people will have accurate information about the costs they are going to bear. The calculations are too complex, and the opponents of reform will play on that uncertainty.

An opt-out would provide an escape valve for people who feel, rationally or not, that the mandate threatens them economically. So let them opt out. Just don't let them back in at will, and over time people will learn to make use of the benefits that government subsidies and other reforms provide them.

The bill in the Senate defers the individual mandate along with most of the extension of coverage until 2014; the House postpones implementation until 2013. Some of the motivation for the slow timetable may be anxiety among Democrats in Congress about popular opposition to the mandate. But postponing reform is an ineffectual way to address that problem. The better alternative would be to provide a conditional opt-out for adults and default enrollment of children and to move up the timetable for carrying out the whole program.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 10:37:46 AM »

I don't want anyone to have any sort of opt out - the whole point is to take away privilege.  This bill is of course only a small step in that direction, but we don't want to throw out the main point before we even begin.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 10:58:51 AM »
« Edited: March 24, 2010, 11:01:01 AM by Torie »

For a moment I thought this opt out was actually in the bill. It apparently isn't.

The opt out would probably disproportionately drain healthy folks out of the system, but then I favor general tax revenue subsidies, not cross premium subsidies. Still, if one is uninsured, you still have the moral hazard problem, which I cannot accept. It is just bad public policy. Some sort of minimum level of insurance should be required.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 01:42:31 PM »

For a moment I thought this opt out was actually in the bill. It apparently isn't.

The opt out would probably disproportionately drain healthy folks out of the system, but then I favor general tax revenue subsidies, not cross premium subsidies. Still, if one is uninsured, you still have the moral hazard problem, which I cannot accept. It is just bad public policy. Some sort of minimum level of insurance should be required.

Well, some people are convinced the current plan is the second coming of the devil and the worst thing that's been done legislatively in human history for the last 2,000 years.  If someone believes it's THAT bad...
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 03:47:12 PM »

I basically agree with Torie on this proposal.

The basic problem with the "fine" system in Obamacare as it is designed to come into effect into 2014 is that the fine you pay for not having insurance is greatly less than the lowest cost health plan offered, in most circumstances even if you qualify for subsidies.  Since there is no pre-existing condition exclusion, healthy people will figure out quite quickly this arbitrage benefit and drop their health insurance.  In turn, health care companies go ka-boom.  But don't think the health care companies don't know this already.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 04:08:43 PM »

Sam, so what is the solution if republicans overturn or repeal the mandate?
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 04:16:40 PM »

HusseinCare is a hilarious term I stole from Mikado.  

I think you stole it from someone else.  That looks more like something Lief would come up with.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 04:58:13 PM »

I don't want anyone to have any sort of opt out - the whole point is to take away privilege.  This bill is of course only a small step in that direction, but we don't want to throw out the main point before we even begin.

Yeah, buying insurance from an unregulated private company is SOOOO privileged.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies