Which states do you suspect will never vote Democratic or Republican again.... (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 05:04:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Which states do you suspect will never vote Democratic or Republican again.... (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Which states do you suspect will never vote Democratic or Republican again....  (Read 7490 times)
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« on: May 13, 2017, 08:49:43 AM »

I think NY, MA and MD will LIKELY vote Democratic for the rest of my life, and I think ID, WY, UT, NE, KS and OK will all vote GOP ... all of those COULD switch, but it'd be hard.  Other than that, I think every state will switch at least once.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 12:08:49 PM »

MT Treasurer, I'm curious why you have VA on your first map (a map you label with 99.9% confidence, which I know you're probably being mostly facetious about, but still), as opposed to a state like say, MD?

If we presume that the Fairfax County model is the wave of the future for the Dems, which in itself, I do not think is a particularly unreasonable prediction, then it would seem to me that this effect would be at least as equally pronounced, if not more so, in a state like MD.  Take, e.g., Montgomery Cty, places such as Bethesda, Rockville, and so on and so forth.

On top of that, consider that MD also has another large majority Black city (Baltimore) on top of that.  VA does have Richmond and Norfolk, but both combined are still smaller than Baltimore.  MD's Black population as a % of total population is about 10% larger than in VA.

VA is growing faster than MD, but not at such a significant rate and both states are growing.  Consider that Montgomery Cty is actually growing faster than Fairfax (and I think we know the demographics of those migrating in), and Prince George's is about equal to Fairfax (slightly less), though in fairness it should be noted that Loudoun is growing faster than all 3.  Additionally VA has a larger rural population, though neither state is particularly rural and are decreasingly so as time goes on.

Just something I was wondering.  I do find your pick of WV interesting as well, and was also considering picking it, but one reason for my hesitation would be that WV's change was so dramatic and so rapid that it leaves me to believe that there is a certain degree of elasticity in the state.  Even if it may be the case that given the current state of the Democratic Party, WV is an especially bad fit.

I tried to consider this, as well.  If WV can so drastically change its preferences in such a short time not so long ago, it's not out of the question it will do it again in my lifetime.  States like the Dakotas and Nebraska and Kansas, on the other hand, have riden the waive with the GOP regardless of its various forms and messages so long as the Party of Lincoln retained even the smallest shred of an "individualist" message, and I don't see that ever going away.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 08:28:09 AM »

What I'm curious about is the Democract​ y'all imagine y'all winning Alabama.  Even Bill Clinton got blown out twice.

People focus more on the Plains states staying reliably Republican rather than the South because many of the Plains states have been ancestrally Republican for over a century whereas the South has been more prone to large shifts either direction.

I do think Alabama is a southern state that'll remain GOP for decades to come though. It's certainly worthy to be placed in the same column as states like Idaho and Nebraska in my opinion.

Yeah, for ME at least, I think TN, AL, OK and possibly even SC (sorry red avatars with a wet dream of THE COAST being in your column) as a different breed of currently solidly GOP Southern than the other states, especially WV, KY and AR (though really only WV stands out).  All either had a strongly Republican area before any realignment and/or shifted to the GOP at all levels much sooner than the more Appalachian ones I named.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies