. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 04:30:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  . (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: .  (Read 1266 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: April 01, 2010, 10:46:29 PM »

Palin is hard to read and in a bit of a different category.  But among the others, if I were to rank how much they've done to indicate that they're going to run, I might go with something like this:

1) Pawlenty
2) Romney
<big gap>
3) Santorum
4) Johnson
5) Gingrich

Of course, "how much they've done to indicate they're running" doesn't necessarily map cleanly onto "likelihood of running".  For example, Gingrich has already teased the possibility of running in past presidential elections, but has never followed through.  So even though he's publicly entertaining the possibility of entering the race, his actions have to be considered with greater skepticism than some of the others.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 07:52:37 AM »
« Edited: April 06, 2010, 07:54:22 AM by Mr. Morden »

Meh, I think Halperin drastically overstates the extent to which the "invisible primary" is going at a slower pace this time than in years past.  Yes, it's true that Pawlenty and Romney are the only two candidates who are currently engaged in "the serious travel, staff hiring, contact building and general planning that are required to make a credible run for President", but who on the GOP side was doing that in April 2006?  No one aside from McCain and Romney IMHO.

Halperin also says that Pawlenty "has barely touched ground in the early battlegrounds".  Which I think is a ridiculous statement.  Pawlenty has made numerous trips to the early primary states, as well as many non-early primary states.  He's done way more cross-country travel than I would have expected from a candidate who has a day job as governor of Minnesota.

He also lists Santorum among those who are "doing very little to make themselves known".  Uh, it's not for lack of trying.  There are potential candidates like Santorum and Johnson who are actually doing quite a bit to try to raise their national profile.  It's just that the media doesn't pay attention to them.  I think Halperin is getting the 2012 election story only partially right because he simply hasn't been paying enough attention to it.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies