Interesting interview with the President-Elect about his faith (from 2004) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 30, 2024, 05:05:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Interesting interview with the President-Elect about his faith (from 2004) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Interesting interview with the President-Elect about his faith (from 2004)  (Read 3321 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« on: November 12, 2008, 02:11:14 PM »

I believe there are many Christians who don't believe in the hackneyed, hallmark card view of heaven, but who do believe in an eternal afterlife.

I don't know where you'll be, but I'll be chillin' here:

Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 02:27:38 PM »

When running for political office, it's usually best not to get too preachy.  It seems pretty hackishly bold to jump on everything he didn't say in his answer.  If Obama's talking about energy and fails to mention clean coal, it wouldn't mean that he doesn't believe in clean coal.

How many presidential candidates openly talk about the resurrection of Jesus in a question about the afterlife?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 02:35:19 PM »

When running for political office, it's usually best not to get too preachy.  It seems pretty hackishly bold to jump on everything he didn't say in his answer.  If Obama's talking about energy and fails to mention clean coal, it wouldn't mean that he doesn't believe in clean coal.

How many presidential candidates openly talk about the resurrection of Jesus in a question about the afterlife?

fine, but he did NOT answer the question asked:  "Do you believe in heaven - a place you spiritually go after you die?"

no need for him to preach - a simple yes or no answer would be fine

When does Obama ever give a simple yes or no?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 02:45:32 PM »

I mean, if you ask him a loaded question like this, he's going to have mental red lights going off in his head saying "be careful" -- and he's going to give a nuanced answer like this regardless of what he actually believes.

I don't doubt that Obama would fail to fall into jm's narrow definition of what a Christian is and isn't, but he probably comes a lot closer than a Mr. John McCain and many other politicians.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 02:52:26 PM »

By "loaded" I don't mean "complex"
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 03:00:50 PM »

By "loaded" I don't mean "complex"

Neither do I.

But unless he's not really serious about his faith, how is it a loaded question?

Well, first off, remember he doesn't think of things in yes or no terms.

Because it's deeply personal and depending on how he answers it, it could strongly affect the way people view him.  If he comes across as too strong, then it could turn people off.  If he comes across as to weak, he could come across as a non-believer.  These things are important and his brain is naturally clicking trying to avoid stepping on any toes (which he could have avoided with a simple yes).

All indications are that he is very serious about his faith, but whatevsky.  I don't care.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies