O'Reilly: Gays can be equated with Al-Qaeda
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 09:23:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  O'Reilly: Gays can be equated with Al-Qaeda
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: O'Reilly: Gays can be equated with Al-Qaeda  (Read 2591 times)
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2010, 04:56:38 PM »

Lunar, O'Reilly was just doing a reducto ad absurdam technique. He is not a gay basher per se. But it was an unusually clumsy riff for O'Reilly. He normally is quite facile with words and uses them well.

And Bill may well be right that in the US, more of those who patronize McDonalds might be turned away with a gay friendly theme than attracted. Plus, gays tend to want fit bodies, and that means McDonalds just isn't on their "to do" list anyway. I mean,  McDonalds customer base is more along the lines of fat straights who can't get it up isn't it?  Tongue

No.. that's Cracker Barrel.  McDonalds is for Sally Soccer Moms and her athletic kids who are skinny but have high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and from the intense pressure put on them by overbearing parents probably have a few arteries in their brains ready to blow as well.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2010, 01:57:27 AM »

Yeah it's certainly NOT filtered and opebo knows it.......but opebo is just making a point.

Yes.  Now what I wonder is, can I insult people if I use asterisks, you p****** o** c****?

(Just kidding - for test purposes I'm insulting someone who I actually more or less 'like').
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2010, 06:54:48 AM »

Yeah it's certainly NOT filtered and opebo knows it.......but opebo is just making a point.

Yes.  Now what I wonder is, can I insult people if I use asterisks, you p****** o** c****?

(Just kidding - for test purposes I'm insulting someone who I actually more or less 'like').

Next time you use the asterisk, make sure enough remains so Inks gets it, ok?  Wink  Tongue
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2010, 05:46:01 PM »

Next time you use the asterisk, make sure enough remains so Inks gets it, ok?  Wink  Tongue

Yeah, most of what went through my mind doesn't fit with his asterisks (except the last one).
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2010, 09:15:46 PM »

Oh those poor, victimized heterosexual American (mostly males) people.  How dare McDonalds run an ad with a bunch of f****ts!  And in FRANCE!?!?!?!?!?!?  We all might as well talk with a lisp, lust after male genitalia, and head on down to Pottery Barn!  The horror!

That's my reaction to Bill O'Reilly's complete and total naivety.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2010, 09:32:16 PM »

Oh those poor, victimized heterosexual American (mostly males) people.  How dare McDonalds run an ad with a bunch of f****ts!  And in FRANCE!?!?!?!?!?!?  We all might as well talk with a lisp, lust after male genitalia, and head on down to Pottery Barn!  The horror!

Could you even tell the difference between a french man and a gay?
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2010, 03:04:44 AM »

No it's all the same to me.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2010, 03:46:40 AM »

By the way, that was 'puerile old creep'!  (no offense, takes one to know one, eh?)

No it's all the same to me.

Yeah, a hole is a hole eh, you f*** ******s?

Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2010, 12:26:37 AM »

His point wasn't that it'll cause trauma to heterosexual McDonalds goers.  It was just that it seemed like a pointless ad.

To which, I'd agree (at least for me) - if you want to appeal to people to make more money, you stick a picture of a hot juicy burger packed with bacon on it, not some dialogue.

The guy could be talking to his girlfriend for all I care, and I'd still say it's a stupid pointless ad.
Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2010, 12:30:58 AM »

Unbelievable.

I know the original poster doesn't believe what he wrote. Why? Because it's absurd. He clearly just wants to agitate people.

O'Reilly said nothing wrong. Stop trying to make things bigger than they really are.

As for the commercial? I don't care if ads promote pro-gay sentiments. Why should I care? However, it literally has nothing to do with fast food, the product McDonalds sells, or the service they provide, so I do have to question why they went with running such an advertisement. Regardless, this is not a political issue! If anything, it's a marketing one. Get off your high horse.
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2010, 12:56:52 PM »

The only relevant point in all of this isn't France or the ad or Mc Donald's, who cares about all of this.

The point here is to make an attacking coward comment that would associate gays to a nasty category such as terrorists. So brave.

Yah, as you say, that's:

Oh, and funny that while in the whole world we're seen as 'The best lovers!', there is that gay thing from USA. Jealous.
Gren
Spain

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.43

« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2010, 03:04:02 PM »

The only relevant point in all of this isn't France or the ad or Mc Donald's, who cares about all of this.

The point here is to make an attacking coward comment that would associate gays to a nasty category such as terrorists. So brave.

Yah, as you say, that's:

Oh, and funny that while in the whole world we're seen as 'The best lovers!', there is that gay thing from USA. Jealous.

You're right, all this thing isn't about the ad, but about that creepy man's statement. He has the right to criticize MacDonald's, but what he said is stupid and thoughtless. I don't care if that's his sense of humour or whatever, that was just inappropriate. I wasn't offended by this, though; I'm getting used to the ultraconservative's dirty tactics. They're irritating, but harmless.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2010, 03:52:15 PM »

But what is the original word?  If you don't want to say it - at least give me a hint - I'm clueless.

Mick.

Knowing the amount of times I have said "mick" on this forum, I can definitely attest to it not being filtered.
That would be hilarious if it was, considering that most Americans wouldn't even know that it was a slur.  I didn't know until high school that it was a slur when this Neo Nazi kid (before my Holocaust History class ironically) called me a "n f****t kike loving mick" and I was like "What?"  And then he went into this tirade about how I'm part of a "criminal and corrupt race that prides itself on drunkedness and violence" to which I just LMFAO.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2010, 03:54:00 PM »

But what is the original word?  If you don't want to say it - at least give me a hint - I'm clueless.

Mick.

Knowing the amount of times I have said "mick" on this forum, I can definitely attest to it not being filtered.
That would be hilarious if it was, considering that most Americans wouldn't even know that it was a slur.  I didn't know until high school that it was a slur when this Neo Nazi kid (before my Holocaust History class ironically) called me a "n f****t kike loving mick" and I was like "What?"  And then he went into this tirade about how I'm part of a "criminal and corrupt race that prides itself on drunkedness and violence" to which I just LMFAO.

You went to school with "Neo Nazi kids"?
Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
Junior Chimp
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2010, 03:56:08 PM »

Mick.

Oklahoma.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2010, 04:07:55 PM »

But what is the original word?  If you don't want to say it - at least give me a hint - I'm clueless.

Mick.

That would be hilarious if it was, considering that most Americans wouldn't even know that it was a slur.  I didn't know until high school that it was a slur when this Neo Nazi kid (before my Holocaust History class ironically) called me a "n f****t kike loving mick" and I was like "What?"  And then he went into this tirade about how I'm part of a "criminal and corrupt race that prides itself on drunkedness and violence" to which I just LMFAO.

Oklahoma.
^^^^^^
Yup, pretty much.
It isn't against the law (at least here) that kids can be racist bastards while in high school.  As much as people would not like to believe the stereotypes about Oklahoma public high schools, alot of those are shockingly true.  It wasn't there were a lot of them, but there were quite a few kids who had swatika tattoos on their backs that administrators couldn't see with their shirts on.
They aren't very pleasant people to be around needless to say.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2010, 04:56:02 PM »

But that wasn't the intent of the comment.  The intent of the comment was to point out the marketing stupidity of putting out a "McDonald's is friendly toward gays" ad.
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2010, 05:08:06 PM »

But that wasn't the intent of the comment.  The intent of the comment was to point out the marketing stupidity of putting out a "McDonald's is friendly toward gays" ad.

Well, at the very least maybe we could say it is ambiguous, and it doesn't convince me much, and well de facto it puts gays on the same level of terrorism, but in the end each one makes its opinion on it.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2010, 08:45:48 PM »

Lunar, O'Reilly was just doing a reducto ad absurdam technique.

Not an O'Reilly fan, but this was likely what he was doing, not equating them. Perhaps similar to:

Teenager: Can I drink alcohol at the party?
Parent: No.
Teenager: Jimmy's doing it.
Parent: If Jimmy jumped off a cliff, would you?

That said, in this context I'm not sure what point O'Reilly was making about gays and the ad.

But would "reaching out to all of France, including the gays, so that we sell more of our product" prompt the question "would you reach out to terrorists then?"  

The idea of "reaching out to all of the French" doesn't spark the air of illogic that "Oh, I did it just because Jimmy did it" does.

I mean, if, say, O'Reilly was questioning a McDonalds spokesmen about their Spanish-language ads on New York subway trains or on English-language channels (both of which exist), and the McD's spokesmen said "we reach out to everybody," would "would you reach out to terrorists?" really be on the same level as your example of "I drank because Jimmy did it"?

So while I may have overreacted, I feel that's a poor counterexample.

I think "equating" is the correct verb to use here.

Not disagreeing with your explanation. Just saying that that was what O'Reilly was trying to do. Certainly he considers gays undesirables of society.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies